Chain Lubricant

rob\'s_lexx
rob\'s_lexx Posts: 95
edited July 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

Just wondered what lubricant is best to use to keep the chain in the best working order? I've seen some 'finish line dry teflon lube' on merlin cylces that sounds like its up for the job, but no idea if there is a product that really stands out from the crowd?

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... be_269.htm

Also, how often should the chain be lubricated, and i assume the best way of doing it is to spin the chain as the drops of lubricant are applied?

Thaks

Rob

Comments

• JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    but no idea if there is a product that really stands out from the crowd?

Rock `n Roll Gold lube---changed to this early this yera, brilliant, waxy stuff, stays on, keeps chain clean, doesn`t pick up grit etc, smoother shifting, luv it :)
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Rock `n Roll Gold lube---changed to this early this yera, brilliant, waxy stuff, stays on, keeps chain clean, doesn`t pick up grit etc, smoother shifting, luv it :)[/quote]

Can vouch for the benefits of Rock n Roll Gold but I had a bad experience with it earlier this year.

Ordered some back in January (from Wiggle I think) as my first venture into dry lube. Product arrived as 2 phases (waxy sediment with clear golden upper layer). However no amount of shaking would reconstitute it into a suspension that would pass through the applicator nozzle - kept blocking with large waxy particles.

This was due, I am convinced, to the product having been stored in a warehouse where the temperature was well below the recommended storage range.

Eventually solved the problem by standing the bottle in some warm water for about 15 mins - by which time the suspended particles had dissloved (or melted) so that an even coat could be applied to the chain.

I do that each time now before applications and it works fine - not sure if that is what the manufacturer intended but who cares.

It's likely that stocks will now be OK and not prone to this low temperature artifact. Just be aware that it could be an issue.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I noticed this also other day, kept small bottle of same in car and at morning after a night temp of +8c only stuff was solid :(

Quite surprised as I thought it was a solvent based waxy lube unlike eg White Lightning which I think is water based and does set solid.

Nevertheless still very impressed by the stuff
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    I've used the Finish LIne Ceramic Wax stuff and have to say it's useless. Noisy, dirty and disappointing... So I'd avoid that.
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • http://www.xcracer.com/shop/viewproduct ... oductid=41
    Very good stuff. like chiark i think the finish line ceramic is pretty useless, just didn't seem to do much and ran out quickly
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    I also use Squirt but don't like it. Gonna give rock n roll gold a try.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    Been using engine oil for years on both MTB and road bike with no problems and it's cheap

Also had good experience with motorbike chain spray lube
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Engine oil is a nightmare and turns your chain black even on the dryer cleaner days, used it when i first started out, if you think that's doing a fine job your really missing out.

Rock n roll gold is the best i've used so far, just need to keep it in doors and out of the cold.
  • andrewlwood
    andrewlwood Posts: 224
    chiark wrote:
    I've used the Finish LIne Ceramic Wax stuff and have to say it's useless. Noisy, dirty and disappointing... So I'd avoid that.

That's interesting - I'm using that and find it silent. You do need a spotless drive chain before you start putting it on though - it doesn't sit nicely on other stuff.
  • I like Pro Link Gold myself. Nice an thin and doesn't go all horrible. Easy to wipe off and reapply if needed, I just use a baby wipe on the chain.

Bizarrely listed under MTB category at Ribble.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/mtb-bm ... ROGLUBE200

or

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/29 ... e-4oz.html
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    Engine oil is a nightmare and turns your chain black even on the dryer cleaner days, used it when i first started out, if you think that's doing a fine job your really missing out.

I'm confused. Do you want a lubricant or a chain dye? Who cares how the chain looks if it's lubricated well?
    "Coming through..."
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    chiark wrote:

That's interesting - I'm using that and find it silent. You do need a spotless drive chain before you start putting it on though - it doesn't sit nicely on other stuff.

It went onto a brand new chain... Although the bike shop did put some other lube on there before I applied the Finish Line Wax Ceramic Stuff, so perhaps I was putting it on something it didn't like.

I've stripped my chain back and am running bike hut synthetic wet lube now. It works for me, and has done for years.
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    I`m a recent convert to Squirt wax lube having previously used Finish Line in both dry and wet versions.

Drivetrain stays noticeably clleaner and its quiter too,though initial application is trickier than Finishline.

Finish line wet has good staying power but is very sticky and tends to attract a lot of dirt.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-race-oil-125ml-bottle/

The business, and I've used most of the others over the years!
  • rajMAN
    rajMAN Posts: 429
    chiark wrote:

+1 its crap and not a patch on their Pro Road.
  • yaya
    yaya Posts: 411
    TuckerUK wrote:

I'm confused. Do you want a lubricant or a chain dye? Who cares how the chain looks if it's lubricated well?

Exactly!
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    Nickwill wrote:
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/morgan-blue-race-oil-125ml-bottle/

The business, and I've used most of the others over the years!

+1. Just switched to this stuff from Progold. performs superbly - quiet drive train and another draw is that is doesn't drip at all on application, so easy and clean to apply. Also trying the wet lube out but so far so good.
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Rock n roll Gold. 4-5000 miles out of a Record 11s chain including some winter riding. Never had any problems with solidifying but it needs to be shaken well. I apply it quite frequently say every 200 miles.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo