grease for rear shock fitting?

tsenior
tsenior Posts: 664
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
bike is a marin attack trail 2005 so FRS quad link rear suspension, I am refitting rear shock after service.

the manual mentions MOLYCOAT grease for the bearings for the link assembly but i am not touching these, there is no mention for the shock pounting pivots......

......but there was definetly some on the (glacial?) bearing when i took it off....it was very thick and sticky stuff whitish opaque, not like the others i have lying around.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    it sounds like finish line synthetic teflon grease, but its not, and its not cheap

the 2011 site they use a silicon moly 111 internally and new to me, but I have used dow corning high vac grease before:

the white stuff is

SKF LG/AF or Castrol Optimol T ANTI-FRET PASTE

Once the Links have been assembled correctly, SKF LGAF 3 Compound or Castrol
    Optimol T must be applied to all outside faces of the bearing flanges / frame contact
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    For the shock mounting itself, virtually anything will do. They wear down anyway.
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    ok so i only need weird expensive grease for the links, for the shock mountings some marine teflon will be ok stuff and none on the bushes.....?