Making my bike lighter? Advice?

2»

Comments

• mike ives
    mike ives Posts: 319
    Get thee to a gym on a regular basis and do some cross training. Spend the money on membership. It'll be a much better investment.
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    OH bought a second hand Specialized Secteur and it was pretty darned heavy. She bought new wheels and tyres and that made a world of difference, not to mention an increase in freewheeling speed. After that I think replacing the bike is a good call!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    OH bought a second hand Specialized Secteur and it was pretty darned heavy. She bought new wheels and tyres and that made a world of difference, not to mention an increase in freewheeling speed. After that I think replacing the bike is a good call!!
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    JamLala wrote:

Correct

Schwlabe Ultremo Tyres and Specialized Turbo tubes saved about 300 grams and the difference in rolling resistance and weight is noticeable

Good set of 1500 gram Roval wheels also saved about 700 grammes over the standard CXP22s, and cost £225 in a sale

For £300ish I shaved a kilo off the bike and it is noticably quicker

Changing anything else( unless it's worn out ) is silly IMHO

Only other area for saving significant weight is the chainset- other than that it's 10 grammes here and 10 grammes there
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    These threads crop up all the time and every time they do, someone will chime in with "lose weight" or "ride more"

The OP said nothing about his weight or his mileage, so who's to say he has weight to lose or needs to put more hours in? He just wants a lighter bike and is asking for advice on how to achieve it. Why can't some people accept that?

Anyway, rant over - I'm off to spend my wages on carbon fibre.

Rob (9 stone 9 and slightly grumpy)
  • carrock
    carrock Posts: 1,103
    Monkeypump wrote:
    Considering it's the OP's first post, which contains a link with vaguely positive recommendations, and there is absolutely zero response from him/her... could this just be SPAM?

Yes he could be the proprietor of CK ceramics........
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Stop asking bone questions. If you want to spen £80 on some jockey wheels, then you must be stupid, therefore I can give you no advice as you are far too dim to appreciate it. :roll: