breathing with goggles

brynmor
brynmor Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in MTB general
Does anyone else struggle breathing through their nose whilst wearing goggles? and does anyone have a solution?
I have always struggled with goggles in this sense even when skiing and so usually wear glasses, however with taking up DH this will not always be possible.

Comments

• Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    I'm no expert, but don't wear them over your nose????

:lol:

Sorry, I've got my coat.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Sounds a little weird ,sorry about being Noseist but do you have large nose, do you snore a lot c/w sleep apnoea . might be worth getting a Nose Doctor to have a look at your Nassal cavity and sinus's
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    breath through your mouth, you can get a lot more air in that way.

:wink:

I don't even try to breath through my nose when riding, I just can't get enough oxygen in.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • Horton
    Horton Posts: 327
    bearfraser wrote:
    Sounds a little weird ,sorry about being Noseist but do you have large nose, do you snore a lot c/w sleep apnoea . might be worth getting a Nose Doctor to have a look at your Nassal cavity and sinus's

I don't think it's that weird - they kind of do exactly the opposite of those weird semi-sprung plasters that some sportspeople wear over the bridge of the nose to help them breathe more easily...

That said, my skiing goggles don't bother me or impede my breathing at all (they're relatively expensive Spy-optics, where as my cheapy £30 Fox MTB goggles make it feel a little bit like I've got a blocked nose.

I'd recommend trying some different makes and models but always make sure you try them whilst wearing your helmet so you know how they'll fit.
  • brynmor
    thanks for your replies.
    No large nose and no problems with snoring, I guess its going to be a case of some trial and error with some goggles, maybe try those nose strips.
  • Chalky76
    Chalky76 Posts: 260
    i've had it a few times and it's been due to incorrect fit before starting a run. Mainly the strap has slipped at the back or it's just too loose?
    ride your bike like a kid whilst you still can

Transition Blindside = http://www.flickr.com/photos/traceychalk/5335403095/
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Sounds like your goggles are too small. What are your current goggles?

Go into a Motocross or MTB shop that stocks goggles and try some on. Oakley, Spy, Electric, Fox and Smith all make great goggles as well as many other brands. Just look for replaceable lenses and tear-off compatibility when looking and make sure the lenses and frames don't obscure your vision.
  • brynmor
    currently using oakley l frame mx
  • brynmor
    currently using oakley l frame mx
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    I'm assuming you use prescription eyewear under them? It could also be your glasses causing the problem.

I know Fox make goggles that are designed for glasses as well but Oakley make Fox goggles so they may suffer the same problems. Thought about contact lenses?
  • brynmor
    no i dont normally wear prescription glasses just sun glasses when i ride. inthink it will have to be a trial and error jobbie.