xt shadow rear mech

pots
pots Posts: 109
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
hi
i am in the process of rebuilding the lads bike after a bad rear mech / bent hanger breaker.

after fitting a new hanger & going for a M772 XT shadow rear mech along with the original M760 shifters ,i am having difficulty setting the indexing to work correctly over the low gearing.

every thing works great until we go up to the cassette & get to 3rd from bottom were it jumps to 1st gear missing 2nd.this is the same as going down,straight from 1st to 3rd ,on both the granny & middle ring ,all the rest works fine,so its got me scratching me head

would anyone have any suggestions please as to what may be of help?
the only thing i think it may be is that the outer cable to the mech maybe a little to long

tha bikes a Pinnacle Tent Peak FS

many thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You are running the cable straight into the mech? Not with a loop like a standard mech.
    TBH I hate setting up mine - prefer an adjuster on the mech, seems to make it easier.
    Having bent mine, I'm replacing with a non shadow short cage.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • pots
    hi cooldad
    yes the cable is going straight to the mech,not a loop , & then i am using the adjuster on the changer
    thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so it is jumping from 3 to the big cog (1) and missing out 2.

this is either alignment issue (bent mech/hanger) or a cable tension issue. If all other shifts are fine IE 1-9 (cable pull) then I would put it firmly as a tension issue. this could be anything from mucky cables to some damage to the outer somewhere.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have you adjusted the B-stop, I had exactly this issue when I swapped my commuter from an 11-34 cassette to an 11-32, it would skip 3rd gear in my case, adjusted the B-stop correctly and it's been perfect since!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • pots
    Sorted. about 6 teeth are slightly bent inwards on 1st gear which must have happened at the time of the breakage.(did'nt notice at first),which is throwing the chain over
    thanks for all your advice