About to go to the Police Station

2»

Comments

• bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I always thought it was legal, and people have wrongly got an idea that they've got the right to not be filmed/photographed while in public. If filming/photographing in public was illegal then press photographers would be out of a job. And those camera crews that follow the police around for Road Wars would constantly be under arrest!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    bails87 wrote:
    I always thought it was legal, and people have wrongly got an idea that they've got the right to not be filmed/photographed while in public. If filming/photographing in public was illegal then press photographers would be out of a job. And those camera crews that follow the police around for Road Wars would constantly be under arrest!

This....

http://www.photographersrights.org.uk/page6/page6.html
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    A lot of Police Officers got it into their heads a while ago that taking photographs in public places warranted a stop and search under Section 44 of the Terrorism Act (this mostly applies to London - Section 44 let the police temporarily designate areas where they were given the additional power to stop and search people for no reason - in practice they pretty much designated the whole of inner London to be such an area with no intention of ever repealing it) which did leave a lot of people with the impression that public photography is illegal.
  • kurako
    kurako Posts: 1,098
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

This....

Wow! You need permission to take photographs in Trafalgar Sq? Where do you apply? Can you imagine if every tourist with a camera actually did this? That would be one boring job.

Yes. Yes. Yes. Not you. Yes. Yes.Yes....
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Kurako wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

This....

Wow! You need permission to take photographs in Trafalgar Sq? Where do you apply? Can you imagine if every tourist with a camera actually did this? That would be one boring job.

But what if the 'not you' people, ie the terrorists/communazis, find a way around the ban?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • hfidgen
    hfidgen Posts: 340
    One of my friends works with the homeless and mentally ill, and one of her guys was just about to start a job, but needed a lot of support as it was his first job in quite a few years. This included learning how to use the tube and directions to the place of work and so on.

She had to map out the route for him by walking it through with a camera and taking photos so he'd have a little book to recognise where to go next and wouldn't be disorientated.

The route was basically around Whitehall and Trafalgar Square :lol: so police naturally stopped her (a 5ft Danish blonde) but they actually tried to delete the photos from her camera. It ended with her giving them a verbal whipping in front of a crowd of about 80 tourists (all with similar photos on their cameras of course).

The police backed off black and blue and she got her guy to his job.
    FCN 4 - BMC CX02
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    Kurako wrote:
    daviesee wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

This....

Only for commercial purposes, in other words if you're going to sell the pictures in some way. It's not unusual. I had to pay Glasgow City Council for a permit to have my wedding photos done in Kelvingrove Park, for example.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    There was brilliant footage on Youtube of some plods pursuing a Geordie bloke for fliming some scrotes in his neighbourhood. Rather than pursue the scrotes the plods pursued him telling him he couldn't film in public place and they were going to arrest him, the meantime, his camera is still filming. He makes them ring up their inspector who tells them it is NOT an offence to film in public.

I thought you were only prohibited from filming in a public place if the area was designated a "secure area" which are typically places such as army bases or places to do with national security. Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish. For too long the plods have been harassing genuine photographers under the guise of s44 of the Terrorism Act.

I would stick the footage on Youtube as the police won't do anything. At least then we can all agree or disagree how bad her driving was and crucify her for driving and dialling.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • any updates?
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Form handed in, now the waiting begins.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • cloggsy
    cloggsy Posts: 243
    dilemna wrote:
    There was brilliant footage on Youtube of some plods pursuing a Geordie bloke for fliming some scrotes in his neighbourhood. Rather than pursue the scrotes the plods pursued him telling him he couldn't film in public place and they were going to arrest him, the meantime, his camera is still filming. He makes them ring up their inspector who tells them it is NOT an offence to film in public.

I thought you were only prohibited from filming in a public place if the area was designated a "secure area" which are typically places such as army bases or places to do with national security. Anyone who says otherwise is talking rubbish. For too long the plods have been harassing genuine photographers under the guise of s44 of the Terrorism Act.

I would stick the footage on Youtube as the police won't do anything. At least then we can all agree or disagree how bad her driving was and crucify her for driving and dialling.

Have you got a link? I've got to see that one :lol: