Replacing rims

fredy
fredy Posts: 308
edited July 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello, i have cracked and dented the rim of my rear wheel. To replace the rim can i use any rims providing they are the same size, ie all 26" or are there other factors that i need to match?

I currently have a mavic xm317 but want to replace it with a superstar xc-430 (so i can get a green one).

Thanks,
fred

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Number of holes, but may need new spokes as well as hols spacing may be different.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fredy
    ah i see, so im better off just getting another mavic then. cheers cooldad.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    Check the spokes on the rear wheel, if you've had the chain come off into the spokes, you may as well replace the gouged ones.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    fredy wrote:
    ah i see, so im better off just getting another mavic then. cheers cooldad.

If you dont want to change the spokes then you need the exact same rim. Or another with the same ERD.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Kaise
    Kaise Posts: 2,498
    just to piggy back this thread (:shock:) my colleague at work needs a new rim on his commuter due to being run off the road. he has a hub gear and so just needs a wheel build with a new rim and spokes.
    Cycle surgery want £122 +vat for spokes that arent anything special and a rim that is at the lower end of mavics range, basically charging £70 for labour.

Now would it be cheaper for him to buy a rim and spokes and assemble the rim and not apply tension to the rim and take it to an LBS and as for a tension and spoke freeze job, therefore cutting the cost a bit?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    only IF he laces it up correctly.

but I would ask for a second opinion.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Thats expensive, my LBS charge £20 for the labour plus parts for a wheel build.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you want to rebuild a new rim onto an old wheel (assuming it'll fit first) then what to do is, loosen but don't undo any spokes, tape the rims together, then one at a time undo spokes and move them across to the new rim Just copy and paste basically. You have to be a total mong to screw this up.

But actually finishing wheels is hard... But luckily not expensive. So I'd lace it and take it to whatever local wheelbuilder people recommend
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fredy
    Cheers guys. I bought the same rim and have laced it up and replaced the damaged spokes. Now i'm just trying to true it using my old bike as a truing stand. Gah i hate truing wheels!