Adapting a Ribble Audax road bike to a cyclocross bike

sjhroadee
sjhroadee Posts: 4
edited June 2011 in Commuting chat
I've had a ribble 7005 audax bike for a couple of years now and am upgrading. However, I do still need a bike to go out on rides with the wife. We only go short distances mainly on road but also off road, mainly toe paths or following a national cycle route. I am hoping that this bike will also be my commuter bike as well only 10 miles round trip a day.

Would the bike cope (especially with carbon fork)?

Would it just be case of changing to knobbly tyres or is it more complex than that?

Thoughts please?

Thanks

Comments

• Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I have no thoughts but "toe" paths?! That made me giggle :lol::lol: I think you mean towpaths...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Can you fit larger tyres? This will help a lot, but I have heard larger tyres don't also fit the Ribble too well.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    It should be easy enough to look at what clearence there is round the tyre and see what size larger tyre will fit, Audax bikes tend to have more clearance than road bikes anyway. Your tightest clearance will probably be the brake callipers....and they have a habit of mud clogging which is why CX frames are canti 'braked'.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.