Marin Mount Vision XM 8 vs Trek Fuel ex 9 vs Trek Remedy 8

Silversladey
Silversladey Posts: 450
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
O.K. Guys and Girls,

I have a choice between the three bikes above, I normally ride Trail centres red and Black with a bit of natural Brecon Beacon riding.

I am a better climber than descender so would I be more suited to the Remedy,Or Is 120mm enough travel on the Fuel 9.

Has anybody ridden the Marin I have always liked them, and this new model with 140mm of travel looks great but how does it ride

Cheers
Silversladey

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Marin Mount visions are awesome bikes. Great climbers, and deceptively lethal on the descents. The old 120mm version rode like some manufacturer's all-mountain based rigs. the downside is that it's a little heavier than some other bikes, because it's built to take a beasting.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp Posts: 3,514
    As Yeehaa says, I had one and to be honest it was a great machine, with a lifetime frame and bearing warranty that offers some reasurance...my mate had an EX8 and had two sets of bearings in three years. The only grumble I had was the light front end on climbs so the more relaxed head angle and longer fork should put a stop to that....

Two great bikes that both get great reviews.....tough choice.
    Tomac Synper 140 Giant XTC Alliance 1
    If the world was flat, I wouldn't be riding !
  • pioneer68
    pioneer68 Posts: 56
    The Remedy climbs really well, maybe not as quick as a Fuel, but the Remedy will give you bags more confidence going down, so you should be quicker on that, downhill. I can do everything I do, with the Remedy, on the Fuel, but it is more fun downhill on the Remedy IMO.
    Only had one problem, where the shock seal went, on the Fuel, just after a year of use, but MOJO repaired it free of charge, other than that faultless.
    Trek Remedy 9.9 (custom) 2011
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc (custom)
    Trek Stache 8 2013
  • Anonymous
    Pudseyp wrote:
    The only grumble I had was the light front end on climbs so the more relaxed head angle and longer fork should put a stop to that....
    You've said that before, and it still doesn't make any sense at all to me.
  • Pudseyp
    Pudseyp wrote:
    The only grumble I had was the light front end on climbs so the more relaxed head angle and longer fork should put a stop to that....

Well unless I am wrong, the more relaxed head angle coupled with a longer fork changes the geometry and creates a slightly longer wheelbase. In my opinion when climbing with the older model it felt like the front wheel was tucked in under the bottom tube and the front felt light and used to lift no matter how many stem and bar combo's I tried. So the slightly longer wheelbase and more relaxed angle so make a wee difference on the climbs...am I making sense ?
  • Silversladey
    The Orange five was my original choice,Unfortunately I have to wait until the end of July for delivery.
    I also have to use the retailer Wheelies for insurance reasons. They dont list Treks or Marins on their website, but after a little moan they have now said they will order a Trek or Marin in
    if I want one.

So where would you put the Five Pro against these bikes.

Is a Remedy to much travel
    Is a Fuel to little
    Is the updated Marin worth a gamble.
  • Silversladey
    Marin Mount visions are awesome bikes. Great climbers, and deceptively lethal on the descents. The old 120mm version rode like some manufacturer's all-mountain based rigs. the downside is that it's a little heavier than some other bikes, because it's built to take a beasting.

Thats what i thought they look stunning and I have heard good things about them
  • ftwizard
    ftwizard Posts: 253

Is a Fuel to little

Right at the top.

Just my totally unbiased opinion. :)
  • Pudseyp
    The remedy is more all mountain and the Marin and Fuel more trail bikes....the Trek has 130mm and the Marin 140mm it's how the bike delivers it's travel and the Trek is a cleaver design so the linkage system makes the rear travel appear almost bottomless. Both are very capable trail bikes. It's hard to chose between them...
  • Anonymous
    Pudseyp wrote:
    Pudseyp wrote:

Well unless I am wrong, the more relaxed head angle coupled with a longer fork changes the geometry and creates a slightly longer wheelbase. In my opinion when climbing with the older model it felt like the front wheel was tucked in under the bottom tube and the front felt light and used to lift no matter how many stem and bar combo's I tried. So the slightly longer wheelbase and more relaxed angle so make a wee difference on the climbs...am I making sense ?
    I still can;t see that working, if your weight is still so near the rear. Extending the effective chainstay length would help though.
  • Pudseyp
    ftwizard wrote:

Is a Fuel to little

Right at the top.

Just my totally unbiased opinion. :)

Unbaised but tottaly wrong...