So you're going to the alps?

bluechair84
bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
edited June 2011 in MTB general
In a neighbouring thread about Pikes in the Alps, it seems quite few people are heading that way over the coming months (myself included).

So what are you planning on riding and where? I've pretty much booked everything now apart from I'm still a little unsure what to expect and where to go (I've a map of the trails around Les Gets). We'll be chasing the black DHs mainly, and might put our spinning legs on one day for a longer red XC route - otherwise, fancy sharing what you can't wait to hit?

Comments

• bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    We're gonna be based in Chatel, none of us have ever been to the Alps to ride before but we've ski'd the Portes du Soleil 6 years running. As well as checking out the local stuff i'm interested in exploring further out from Chatel into Avoriaz and Morzine just to see what the runs are like in the summer and in particular have a look in The Stash.

Should be a great holiday :D
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I hate you all!

I hope your planes collide into one another, then fall out of the sky onto whichever ones of you are driving, as you cross a level crossing which then takes out anyone else who may be considering taking the train down there.

Have a great time! :twisted:
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    Avoriaz has some good trails, as does Morzine, Les Linderets...pretty much everywhere on the Passportes route, Les Gets is more geared up for DH runs, doable on a xc bike though, enjoy!
  • bluechair84
    are there any parks around Les Gets for doubles, TTs and stuff?

All I can find on The Stash is boarding and ski info...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The Kona Bike park used to be in Les Gets. Way up the hill!

I'm with CWNT though, damn you all. (I wish I could afford it this year :cry: )
    On the bright side though, I'm going snowboarding there this winter, so it's all good :D
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    If anybody comes up with somewhere for superb XC in the Alps please let me know.

I'm going to give the Pyrenees a try. So off to Bagneres-de-Luchon on Saturday for two weeks, with a visit to Oradour-sur-Glane on the way down.
  • Just out of interest how easy is it to take your bike on a plane? Cost much?
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Just out of interest how easy is it to take your bike on a plane? Cost much?

very, anything from free to £100 (ive never paid more than £60) return depending on the weight of the bike and who you fly with. but ALWAYS tell them in advance, and get a decent bike bag.
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • bluechair84
    Tom Howard wrote:

very, anything from free to £100 (ive never paid more than £60) return depending on the weight of the bike and who you fly with. but ALWAYS tell them in advance, and get a decent bike bag.

Tom Howard... you have the exact same name as a friend of mine; Tom Howard. Do you by chance fall down DH courses wearing batman knickers?

(a bike with Jet2 is 50 pounds)
  • tom_howard
    tom_howard Posts: 789
    Tom Howard wrote:

Tom Howard... you have the exact same name as a friend of mine; Tom Howard. Do you by chance fall down DH courses wearing batman knickers?

(a bike with Jet2 is 50 pounds)

I may have been know to do so....
    Santa Cruz 5010C
    Deviate Guide
    Specialized Sequoia Elite
    Pivot Mach 429SL
    Trek Madone 5.2 Di2
    Salsa Mukluk Carbon
    Specialized Turbo Levo Expert 29er
  • pat mcgucken
    pat mcgucken Posts: 126
    off to the alps next Sat. Starting out in Chamonix, gonna do a couple of days in Morzine/Les Gets, then head down to Les Arcs, Tignes, Valloire (just because I snowboarded there once and want to see it without snow) and Les Deux Alpes. No real hard and fast time table just gonna cruise round and stay longer in the places I like. We've got 2 weeks, 2 bikes and a van and I can't bloody wait.
  • bluechair84
    off to the alps next Sat. Starting out in Chamonix, gonna do a couple of days in Morzine/Les Gets, then head down to Les Arcs, Tignes, Valloire (just because I snowboarded there once and want to see it without snow) and Les Deux Alpes. No real hard and fast time table just gonna cruise round and stay longer in the places I like. We've got 2 weeks, 2 bikes and a van and I can't bloody wait.

Cool, do report back on any particular gems you find! I'll be out a few weeks after you
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Not going this year :( Well probably not. Might just be able to sneak something in at the end of the season, fingers crossed...
    Pirahna wrote:
    I'm going to give the Pyrenees a try. So off to Bagneres-de-Luchon on Saturday for two weeks, with a visit to Oradour-sur-Glane on the way down.

Are you going guided? We spent a week in Luchon with A Quick Release and the trails were stunning, mostly ride-up though. The one day we did at Superbagneres was superb, but it was mostly off-map stuff, the guides were a bit negative about the bike park. We got so much quality riding but I doubt we'd have found a tenth of it without a proper guide.

I'd give quite a lot to have another go on that mountain tbh! And another run at Russ the Chef's menu at Le Lutin.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Just spent the evening packing the motor home for my solo Alps trip on Saturday and I cant wait no plans and no time table just me 2 bikes and a fridge full of beer !!!!
    Not looking for rad DH stuff though just want some decent XC trails with stunning views and a get away from it all feel :)
    Ohh the wife left me a month ago with the kids so nothing to rush back for either.......so figure its road trip time :roll:
  • pat mcgucken
    pat mcgucken Posts: 126
    I should point out that aswell as the two bikes etc I'm taking my Mrs with me too.
    I have to say Mark_K that an alpine bike mission seems like an excellent way of dealing with a departing spouse...
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Mark_K wrote:
    get away from it all feel :)
    Les Gets / Morzine probably isn't the place for you then :shock:
    It's like a DH disneyland :lol:
  • Mark_K
    Mark_K Posts: 666
    Mark_K wrote:
    get away from it all feel :)
    Les Gets / Morzine probably isn't the place for you then :shock:
    It's like a DH disneyland :lol:

Yer I kinda want somwhere with a bit of life at night and other things to do for days off the bike and a good uplift system to maximize ride time hence Morzine! However the beauty of a Motor home and no plan is if i dont like it i'll move :)
  • Im off with friends for the first time in sept.

Booked it through these guys http://www.trailaddiction.com/ seem to get good reviews everywhere, anybody on here been with them?
  • Soul Boy
    Soul Boy Posts: 359
    Im off with friends for the first time in sept.

Booked it through these guys http://www.trailaddiction.com/ seem to get good reviews everywhere, anybody on here been with them?

No, but if its Les Arc, stayed next door with http://www.themountainbikechalet.com/

Lovely people, really getting up to speed with the whole experience (new guides, rental bikes...). Do all they can to accommodate.

Trail Addiction are good guys and gals too. Know all the backcountry stuff, you won't be disappointed 8)
  • Soul Boy
    Oh, and I'm back to Les Arc for the 4th year running.

The marked routes are good, and can keep you entertained for the week, but looking into more guiding this year, there's tonnes of riding out there.

OP - good cross country ride and gravity action. Maybe not as 'rad' as other places. Maps here http://www.bikepark-lesarcs.com/
  • Soul Boy wrote:
    Im off with friends for the first time in sept.

No, but if its Les Arc, stayed next door with http://www.themountainbikechalet.com/

Lovely people, really getting up to speed with the whole experience (new guides, rental bikes...). Do all they can to accommodate.

Trail Addiction are good guys and gals too. Know all the backcountry stuff, you won't be disappointed 8)

Yep les arcs and its a back country week we're going on, really cant wait now.

Not sure on what tyres/tubes to take though? we'll be doing the cross country stuff so i was thinking the stuff i already have would be ok? 2.1 kenda nevegals?
  • Soul Boy
    Speckled Pants - It is superb. The Trail Addiction lot will see you have a good week.

I've taken my Cotic Soul each year, but kitted it out with Supertacky Maxxis (High Roller rear and Minnion out front), double skinned downhill 2.35's. It's pretty rocky and I mainly go there to descend. Peddling uphill kills (me) at altitude :x

Having said that, first year I had a pair of Continental Vertical's (2.2 if memory serves) and had no issue with them.

Just running regular Continental tubes.

Really depends on what you plan to ride, and what you actually end up riding. It can be a bit of a bike killer. My Soul has a nasty dent in the top tube from an off on the Cachette (second half of the video on the bikepark site - ridiculously sped up).

Got a Bfe to take this year, longer travel and wot not. Looking foward to seeing how she rides.

You can always get stuff out there, good sports shops in St. Maurice, and a couple dotted around Les Arc.

I would advise knee and elbow pads minimum.

Sooo looking forward to the first week in August.
  • Ok cheers for that, think we're just gonna take the week as it comes and see how confident we feel as we go along. We're used to riding in the dark peak and always wear pads, so i dont think we should have many problems.

I'll just take my kendas and the credit card if need be :lol:
  • Pirahna
    Pirahna Posts: 1,315
    Northwind wrote:
    Not going this year :( Well probably not. Might just be able to sneak something in at the end of the season, fingers crossed...
    Pirahna wrote:

Are you going guided? We spent a week in Luchon with A Quick Release and the trails were stunning, mostly ride-up though. The one day we did at Superbagneres was superb, but it was mostly off-map stuff, the guides were a bit negative about the bike park. We got so much quality riding but I doubt we'd have found a tenth of it without a proper guide.

I'd give quite a lot to have another go on that mountain tbh! And another run at Russ the Chef's menu at Le Lutin.

We'll see what we can find first. I've got details of a couple of guides so we can always do a couple days like that if we need to. I'll let you know how it went when we get back.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Soul Boy wrote:
    I would advise knee and elbow pads minimum.

Aye, I reckon that's good advice for any biking holiday, even a little slip can put you off the bike for days after all (or just make the rides you do less pleasant). It'd be murder to be sat around in a chalet doing nowt for days while your mates are out shredding french gnars
    Uncompromising extremist