servising fox talas forks

jonnyashworth
jonnyashworth Posts: 547
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am experiencing a bit of sticktion in my forks. They are fox Talas RC2 160's from 2009. I compared them to my mates 180mm Floats and his just seemed so plush in the initial stroke compared to mine. He happens to own a bike shop and is a really good mechanic, he had a play around with my forks and said "well thats as good as I'm going to get them" but they still had sticktion in the initail stroke.

I was wondering if this is typical of talas's from 09 or just generally across the model?
Also was wondering if its worth me giving them a servise? Downloaded a good walkthrough on how to replace the seals and fork oil. Could this help?
Yeti SB66c 2013

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    when were they last serviced? the "mate" I guess was just looking at the settings rather than stripping them down?

the stanchions could be worn.

fox_vanilla_service06.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • yeah he just had a fiddle with the settings while we were out on a ride. Its probably been 12 months since they were last servised
    Yeti SB66c 2013
  • Are they particularly difficult to perform a servis on? its just I can get the seals and oil for about £22 but if I send them off to mojo or tf tuning it will cost at least £100
    Yeti SB66c 2013