Gluten/Wheat free diet

clarkie28
clarkie28 Posts: 134
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
Hi all.

By process of elimination and years of putting up with it, i believe i may have a gluten/wheat intolerance.

Can anyone give me some quick and easy meal ideas especially for breakfast and lunchtimes that are also tasty!!!

Many thanks in advance for your help

Clarkie :D

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Sorry, the only advice is to head for the Gluten free aisle in Sainsburys.
    My nephew has the same problem and unfortuantely it has meant he had to stop playing rugby for Bath U21 as he was struggling to take on enough calories.

That said, he's still involved in sport and as mentioned, does most of his shopping in the Gluten Free aisles. There are gluten free substitutes for most foods these days, including bread and pasta, so you should be ok.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jswba
    jswba Posts: 491
    How intolerant are you? Porridge (or muesli in the summer) is great for breakfast, but does have some gluten in it. home-made muesli is better, as you know exactly what's in it. Rice salad for lunch? Or use proper German rye bread for sarnies (is it Schneider Brot?). cut out beer and drink wine or spirits instead.

A few years ago I was advised by a nutritionist to cut out wheat entirely. Did it for about a year, lost loads of weight, and gradually reintroduced it without any side-effects.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    If you like it,try gluten free porridge oats with water or rice/coconut milk,or rice cakes / corn crackers with marge or almond butter,bananas too.For lunch try some gluten free pasta from Dove Farms,very nice with your choice of sauce etc.
  • spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    I was diagnosed as wheat intolerant 3 years ago.

In some ways its easier that being coeliac and in other ways it isn't.

Breakfast wise it's porridge with fruit and cinnamon or wheat free muesli. I have found that spelt doesn't affect me (it's an ancient type of wheat) so I can eat Dorset cereals spelt muesli with no ill effects.

For lunch I'll have a wheat free pasta salad, something rice based or a sandwich made with bread baked at a small bakery in Wimborne Minster (stock up when we're with the in laws who live down there) or even home made pizza using wheat free bases.

One word of warning - some of the wheat free bread products sold in the shops are very dry and crumbly - hence getting real bread.

I've found that I can get away with the occasional wheat product so long as my diet is generally wheat free.

Out interest what are your symptoms?
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Sainsbury & Tesco do a 'fresh' range of gluten-free bread and rolls now which arefar better than any of the long-life stuff, or the stuff you'll get on prescription.

A bread maker with a gluten-free setting is a good investment if you really like your bread products, as supermarket GF is expensive.

Sainsbury, Waitrose & Tesco all do a GF porridge . Sainsbury's is made by Delicious Alchemy which is the same supplier as Waitrose. Tesco sell 'Nairns'

Sainsbury's GF pasta spirals are the closest we've found to tasting like normal pasta.

Eat Natural bars are a good GF snack for the bike, or make flapjacks with your own GF oats.

Don't forget things like lentils and rices. Waitrose and Sainsbury do nice GF sausages and you can get plenty of gravies, stock cubes, sauces, etc that don't contain wheat - you just have to get into the habit of checking the labels.
  • Ands
    Ands Posts: 1,437
    Just wanted to add that not all GF products are wheat-free. Some GF products have wheat starch, where the gluten protein has been stripped out but there is still wheat in it (Nairns GF oatcakes spring to mind)

Also, with regard to the comments about lack of calories and sport, - shouldn't be a problem (Novak Djokovic has a wheat allergy). . The NHS do have a nutrition/dietician service so if you have an allergy, intolerance or disease and are concerned about nutrition you could always get a referral from your GP.

Maybe you should consider a coeliac or allergy test to confirm?
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    An aquantence of mine is coeliac and after tasting it invested in Genius bread and (while he would) he swears by it as the best he's tasted...it was a real Victor Kiam moment for him.
  • andrewjoseph
    andrewjoseph Posts: 2,165
    I make my own bread, bought a bread maker when I was told i had a gluten and diary sensitivity.

Since found out this is nonsense.

I still use the bread maker, almost daily. I use a mix of spelt, white and wholmeal flour and a mix of nuts/seeds. nicest bread I've ever tasted.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails