Hollowtech octalink LX chainset removal

ricktabor1
ricktabor1 Posts: 272
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,
I have an LX octalink triple chainset on my MTB, because the axle is hollow my cotterless crank remover fits into the crank bolt space (crank bolts are 10mm) but has nothing to push against. Do I need a different crank puller tool?

Anyone got any advise?
Got to get up to get down

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    you need a suitable end to your tool or a new tool.

I depends on what you have.

See parktools for the differences.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Bluetac a couple of coins to the end of the extractor tool. Can't remember whether it's 5p or 1p that fits.
  • ricktabor1
    Excellent, cheers guys. I'll try the coin trick, if that fails will this do?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=10181
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    ricktabor1 wrote:
    if that fails will this do?
    Difficult to say without knowing the dimensions of the end. Here is the plug that CRC sell to fit into the hollow BB that any extractor will push against.
  • ricktabor1
    Cheaper - result.

Thanks wordnumb
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Not as cheap as a 5 pence piece or you may have to go mad and use a 10 pence depending on the internal size. If you are really lucky a penny will do it. You can buy them from CRC and whatever size you go for will be sent in a massive box! They don't use envelopes or jiffy bags any more.
  • anjs
    anjs Posts: 486
    Very easy to strip the threads in the crank using the coin trick and then it becomes a real pain o get the cranks off.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    Use more than 1 coin! Otherwise the coins deform and get wedged in the bb.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.