Rear spring change question..

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
ok... so nearly at the stage to buying a bike but I need the rear spring changing to suit my weight.
Apparently the sales guy isn't clued up on springs so the mechanic is calling tomorrow to discuss what I need.

Bike is a 2011 Mondraker Prayer

So using the Fox calculator..

Input Parameters

Total Riding Weight (lbs) - 230
Rear Weight Bias (%) - 65%
Rear Wheel Travel (in) - 7
Shock Stroke (in) - 2.75
Shock Sag (%) - 28%
Preload Adjuster (n.n) - 1 (not sure about this one so left it)
End Coil Effect (%) - 60% (also not sure about this one)

Suggested Spring = 500lb

TFTuned calculator with same base settings...

Suggested spring = 500lb for 28% sag

Is 28% sag correct for a freeride bike of should I be looking for more?

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd say you'd probably want 30-35 or maybe even 40% sag, a 450lb spring would probably give you scope to mess around with the preload, but 28% is definitly too little sag on a 7 inch travel bike IMO
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    Bike is a 2011 Mondraker Prayer

Schweeeeeeeeet.

Pics when you get it.
  • lawman wrote:
    I'd say you'd probably want 30-35 or maybe even 40% sag, a 450lb spring would probably give you scope to mess around with the preload, but 28% is definitly too little sag on a 7 inch travel bike IMO

Fair enough thanks bud. Never had to change a rear shock so trying to gain a bit of knowledge before this chap calls me tomorrow.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Funny how the TFTuned one requires so little input, yet comes out with the same answer as the complicated sounding Fox one :lol:
  • lol I thought that :D

Can I just confirm though...

On the Mondraker site, it says the spring as standard is 222x70... is that then a 2.75in shock stroke or am I missing something?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    The Northern Monkey
    Soooooo what rate spring does it come with?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • The Northern Monkey
    The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
    edited June 2011
    nicklouse wrote:
    The Northern Monkey

^ :D

222x70 as far as I know!

"FOX VAN R 222X70MM"
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    Personally I would just ride it with the stock spring and take it from there. I was really worried about the 400lb spring that came on my 224 since I was recommended a 500lb spring by TF from what I remember but it's fine as it is, I get the correct amount of sag and it feels fine on the trails.
  • peter413
    Depends... I doubt very much that a stock bike will come with a spring set for my 230lb.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse wrote:
    The Northern Monkey

222x70 as far as I know!

"FOX VAN R 222X70MM"

so that is the shock size.

and the spring is a?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:
    The Northern Monkey

222x70 as far as I know!

"FOX VAN R 222X70MM"

so that is the shock size.

and the spring is a?

Erm.... a black one? :lol:

Hoping to find out tomorrow! Hense needing to know what spring I need to see if it needs changing or not? :?
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    peter413
    Depends... I doubt very much that a stock bike will come with a spring set for my 230lb.

Maybe not but I weigh about 16 stone kitted up and this was the standard spring that comes with all 224's and is meant to be for riders around 12-13 stone apparently. I just have to use a but more pre-load, I know it isn't coil binding because the shock is bottoming out with no horrible noises or anything (yeah, yeah, it's an Orange, it always makes horrible noises etc etc :roll: ). I wouldn't use any more pre-load and I would swap the spring out for a 450 if someone would do a straight swap but I don't need to.

That all sounds completely off the point but what I'm trying to say is maybe try it out and if it feels right, just don't change it, bikes ride well because of the rider, not numbers. But then if it doesn't feel right but you aren't far off the sag level you want then you know to either try more pre-load (if possible) or go for a harder spring, if your LBS has one that you can borrow thats perfect, saves you spending money then deciding you don't like that one either.
  • Need to find out what the spring is 1st I guess.

But if it is changed, i'l get the original one sent too so I can switch and change if I want to try different settings!
  • nicklouse
    an i need to know what is fitted to be able to advise.

on the info given and the Mojo calc I would have 2 springs. a 500 fitted (remember max 2 turns preload) and a 550 just incase. but that would be run with no preload.

and here is the BUT. It may be advisable to get the shock custom tuned by Mojo (keeps warranty). BUT this depends on what spring is fitted as standard.
  • Ok no worries, cheers for the help nicklouse.

I;ll see what the chap says tomorrow and come back to the thread if needs be :)
  • Ransaka
    Ransaka Posts: 474
    TNM, let us know what you think of it when you get it and have given it a thrash. Thinking of getting something slightly chunkier than my current ride as I'm getting into more fun stuff that might end up killing it and I've been eying a Mondraker Prayer. :)