Girls bike

mossychops
mossychops Posts: 262
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Hope I've posted this in the right place, forums can be harsh places sometimes. :wink:

Asking for some advice on getting a bike for my girlfriend, she is after a bike so she can cycle with me when camping and for days out, but I dont think she will use it all that much. The problem here is she lives in a flat and so she needs something light enough to carry up the flight of stairs to her flat. She likes the mountain bike look and will be riding on towpaths etc so road bike not really much use.

Does anyone know of a good deals at the moment for a very light, pretty looking, decent bike with a low cross bad (scared she wont be able to jump off a high cross bar)? I am hoping to spend about £200 (especially as she might not use it very much) but think this is optimistic so as close to that would be really good.

Thanks for you help.

Comments

• miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Hello :D

I would start looking on Ebay... I think you'll have to go for something second hand to get within that price.

I'm sure you would find something that appears to be perfrectly adequate for your girlfriends riding at that price, BUT it would probably be heavy as hell to ride and lug up stairs!

Maybe start looking at nice second hand hardtails? The advantage is that there are usually quite a few ladies bikes for sale as they've been bought, not ridden, sat in the shed for years and then sold for a bargain price as good as new :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    I think you are right. Not sure why I didnt look on eBay first really. Guess I am worried that something might not be safe, but I'm not bad at a bit of maintenance etc.

I think I might even look for something even cheaper and keep it in my garage so she doesnt have to lug it up the stairs and if she uses it upgrade later.

The cross bar thing is really annoying because I have my old Gary Fisher in the garage that would perfect.

If anyone knows of any good second hand deals for a 5'5" tall lady in the West Midlands area, please let me know.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I built similar for my wife, brand new low cross bar frame (she has a hip problem that rules out swinging a leg over a saddle) from 'BANKRUPT' on ebay, I also got a new headset and forks (Suntour alloy stanchions), then bought a GT chucker locally off ebay which I used as a donor for the majority of parts (selling what I didn't need on for more than the bike cost) and a new sella italia saddle from on-one, all in the bike has cost about £60 for a decent spec.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.