How often do you change your bike?

solboy
solboy Posts: 368
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
I am a bit of a nightmare when it comes to buying new bikes and tend to change bikes quite frequently. How often do you change your road bikes and why? I need to know how many of you suffer OCD type symptons when you go to your LBS!!!! :x

Comments

• Paul RS
    Paul RS Posts: 107
    About once every 6-8 yrs, and the real improvements are small. I don't suffer stress thinking that my bike is not good enough, I know it's plenty good enough to support this engine.. Just give your OCD time, it will subside..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I don't!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • JRooke
    JRooke Posts: 243
    Tend to change my main race machine once a year, but build bikes throughout the year picking up bits and bobs that are just so cheap i cant refuse etc.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    I,m hoping my current set of bikes will last me at least another 5 yrs, i cant see any need to get another one before that barring any unrepairable frame damage to any of them, ive always been one to keep things for ages, ive had my current motorbike for 14 yrs, whereas my mate has had about 10 in the same period, but each to their own.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I will look to replace mine when my ability supercedes that of the bike. Mine will be good for at least another 5 years on that basis!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    If you asked my wife to often.

Have made a resolution to keep my Canyons for at least 3 years.

Of course components may change.
  • chiark
    chiark Posts: 335
    Gazzaputt wrote:
    Of course components may change.

Up to and including the frame... ;)
    Synapse Alloy 105 / Rock Lobster Tig Team Sl
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Still riding the 1988 Ribble SLX I bought as a yoof mate :wink:

Components changed here & there of course, although only 2 new sets wheels.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    My Pace RC-200 is nearing it's 20th birthday, although it has transformed in that time from an MTB to a 700C Fixed Gear.
    I think I become emotionally attached to frames, but everything else just comes and goes.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    About 10 the last 5 years :shock:
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    I bought mine with an eye on durability/longevity. It should last me out, but my head is still turned by all the latest and shiniest.
  • Crankbrother
    Crankbrother Posts: 1,695
    Depends how much you ride I suppose ... A grand a year seems a good figure for someone riding twice a week ... So £2k for a bike to last 2 years is £10 a ride ... and you'd likely get £7/800 back on resale on that to upgrade to the next after 2 years ...

I always find that if you have a decent frame and wheels some bar tape and new tyres (maybe a saddle to match) can new up your bike for about £100 or so ...

I've had my Six13 for 5 years now ... and don't feel the need to renew to and Asian made frame just to get some shiny new paint ...

My friends have had their Caad3 Saeco team issue bikes for 14 years ... In fairness they are the real deal and not replicas but for the £4k they spent on them they're def. getting bang for their buck after that time ... Colour scheme is pretty naff now mind ... Notquite old enough to be retro ... Yet ...
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    When they get dirty...

Or, if you keep them long enough they become cool and retro. Aluminium frames? They'll never catch on, you know. It's alright for them professionals who can afford it. :wink:
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    In my experience? About 10,000 miles.

In the past month I have needed:-

2 new tyres and multiple inner tubes.
    New gear cables.
    New headset. Damn potholes! :evil:
    Rear derailleur.
    Bottom bracket.
    Bar tape is excessively dirty after riding home having made repairs. Must carry some baby wipes :idea:
    Multitool as the chain tool was inadequate because.......

last night the chain snapped.

Due to having my dream frame I look at this as excuses to upgrade components but it is mighty inconvenient when you have to walk home and then the bike is off the road for a couple of days :evil:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.