Losing weight.

widge34
widge34 Posts: 900
edited June 2011 in MTB buying advice
Would like to lighten the bike if possible. Are WTB Speeddisc wheels heavy as might replace them if they are.
----
Widge.

Bird Zero 2
Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013

Comments

• waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    Which ones?

The WTB SpeedDisc XL Rim 2011 on CRC weigh 680g
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • widge34
    They are Speeddisc all mountains.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • surely weight will take into account the rim/spokes/hub/cassette etc etc etc
    so are you planning on going for a complete wheelset build up or just rims and what you already have
    Cube Acid 2011
  • widge34
    On the wtb site they weigh in at 505g is that heavy for a rim?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    widge34 wrote:
    On the wtb site they weigh in at 505g is that heavy for a rim?

Yes if you're comparing to XC based rims, but it depends on the riding you do.
  • widge34
    Singletrack. Blue and red runs.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Then yes. Stan's Crests are around 330g.

Depends on what it's built on though. Something like the Hope Hoops are excellent value, mine with Crest rims came in at 1585g.

If weight is a real priority then I built a set of race wheels with A2Z hubs, ZTR Podium rims and Revolution spokes for less than £300 and they came in at 1246g including yellow tape and valves, that's only 200g more than your rims alone! 75kg weight limit though, wouldn't want them as an every day wheel - although they've proved very resilient so far!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    widge34 wrote:
    Singletrack. Blue and red runs.

Then yes they're 'heavy' but again it depends on your budget, you can look at rims like ZTR Crests which are circa 340g a rim.

No point in just changing the rims as no doubt you'll have heavy hubs and spokes on the wheelset, so if you want to look at a decent wheelset on Crests say you're looking at circa 300 squid for a 1500-1600g weight.
  • widge34
    Changing the topic slightly. Is there anyway of knowing what the maximum tyre width a rim can take.
    My wtb rims have 2.1 kenda nevegals. I ordered a 2.35 maxxis high roller from Wiggle, received it today but they sent a 2.5. Now the tyre seems to have gone on ok and even. Should i have any concerns though when i take the bike out for a spin?
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013
  • you should just be able to look things like that up on the manufacturers website.most wheels will spec the sizes they can take
    Cube Acid 2011
  • widge34
    Have had a look on site and on the wheel rims ,but havnt really found the answer. All it says on WTB site is that the Inner rim width is 21mm. Now there is an example rim on there showing an inner rim width of 19mm and it says it can take a tyre width upto 62mm. So looking at that i should be ok.
    ----
    Widge.

Bird Zero 2
    Trek Madone 3.5c H2 2013