Kona Jake 2010 tyre sizes

danielsbrewer
danielsbrewer Posts: 123
edited July 2011 in Commuting general
I am going to get some more puncture resistant tyres for my Kona Jake bike as I have been having too many hold ups on my way to work recently. I was considering reducing the size of my tyre at the same time (from 35mm to 32mm). Does anyone know what tyre sizes would be compatible?

Apparently, the Konda Jake 2010 has Alex AT450 rims which have an inner rim width of 13.5mm. According to the Sheldon Brown Tire Sizing guide (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html), anything up to a 25mm tyre as safe on a 13mm inner dimension rim ... so that makes no sense seeing as there is a 35mm tyre on there now.

Also will it make much difference changing the size?

Comments

• Don't know what those sizings are youre looking at mate.

I've got 2010 Jake the Snake which will fit the same tyres and I've got a pair of these on (32mms)..

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Specialized-Bor ... _15850.htm

Had loads of punctures with the tyres it came with but not had any with these on... done the C2C and a good bit of riding as well.

3mm width difference isn't going to make much difference but the grip makes a massive difference.... the tyres on your Jake will be quite nobbly and these ones are pretty much slicks. Massive noticable difference.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,297
    I've got a Jake with 25mm Conitnental Gatorskin plus on. Seem pretty durable and roll quite easily. I did have 35mm Schwalbe Marathon Plus which seemed almost bulletproof. I changed because I wanted something a bit quicker. Might put the Scwalbes back on for winter.
    Puncture resistant slicker tyres make a huge difference. Anything from a 25mm to a 35mm will be fine.
  • jas1978
    jas1978 Posts: 29
    I have this exact bike, I swaped to Bontrager hardschell 25's they really are impressive, and came highly recomended over the conti gatorskins, (which is what i was used to and was intending to buy)
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    .... the tyres on your Jake will be quite nobbly and these ones are pretty much slicks. Massive noticable difference.

Phillip, I have the same bike as you and am commuting with the stock knobblies. Most of my commute is road with a bit of stoney bridleway type terrain. But I am very tempted to go for something slicker, especially given your recomendation here - the sort of thing a struggling commuter likes to hear.

Do you ride anything off-road'ish that would give cause for concern to someone on a road bike? And if so, how do your tyres hold up?

Thanks
    Jim
  • jejv
    jejv Posts: 566
    Apparently, the Konda Jake 2010 has Alex AT450 rims which have an inner rim width of 13.5mm. According to the Sheldon Brown Tire Sizing guide (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html), anything up to a 25mm tyre as safe on a 13mm inner dimension rim ... so that makes no sense seeing as there is a 35mm tyre on there now.
    Makes no sense ?
    You don't really understand bicycles much, do you ?

Of course it makes sense.

A narrower rim costs less, and weighs less, so in CX Top Trumps, your bike wins!

Happy now ?

Well, Schwalbe would agree with Sheldon Brown:
    http://www.schwalbe.com/gbl/en/technik_ ... nt=Technik

But what do the Krauts know? They're just trying to sell tyres. Umm. And not get sued.

If you were planning to do rufty tufty CX, maybe 21-23mm rims would be a better idea,
    so the tyres can run at low pressures without wobbling from side to side on the rims.

As the size of the tyre relative to the rim increases, the minimum pressure for stability increases, and the maximum presure for the tyres to not blow off decreases. The risk of sidewall failure goes up too. The pre-2006 ETRO guidelines are better for safety & reliability.

If you think you have problems, there's a Diamondback 29" MTB at my work with 14mm rims, and ~55mm tyres, which appear to be the original Bontragers.
  • jawooga wrote:
    .... the tyres on your Jake will be quite nobbly and these ones are pretty much slicks. Massive noticable difference.

Phillip, I have the same bike as you and am commuting with the stock knobblies. Most of my commute is road with a bit of stoney bridleway type terrain. But I am very tempted to go for something slicker, especially given your recomendation here - the sort of thing a struggling commuter likes to hear.

Do you ride anything off-road'ish that would give cause for concern to someone on a road bike? And if so, how do your tyres hold up?

Thanks
    Jim

Hi Jim, I've just done the C2C which involved coming down that back of Whinlatter through the forest and along the Waskerley way which was very gravelly. A guy on a road bike struggled on those surfaces but I was fine. What I find is if its very muddy the tyres will spin in the mud a bit, but generally perfect on bridleways etc.
  • jawooga
    jawooga Posts: 530
    jejv wrote:
    Makes no sense ?
    You don't really understand bicycles much, do you ?

Of course it makes sense.

A narrower rim costs less, and weighs less, so in CX Top Trumps, your bike wins!

Happy now ?

:shock: [Think I missed some irony somewhere]
    What I find is if its very muddy the tyres will spin in the mud a bit, but generally perfect on bridleways etc.
    Thanks for the update. I have actually just bought some Schwalbe Marathon plus. Will see how they go, but I had heard bad things about the Continental cx tyres that come as standard on the Snake, so I'm looking forward to getting more suitable commuting tyres on. Cheers.
  • jawooga wrote:
    I have actually just bought some Schwalbe Marathon plus. Will see how they go, but I had heard bad things about the Continental cx tyres that come as standard on the Snake.

Aye, the continental cx tyres are rubbish for everyday use. I just had puncture after puncture... I think the rubber is softer for better grip in the mud but it just means everything cuts through it.

Good luck with the Schwalbes, I'm sure they will provide much better protection.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    jas1978 wrote:
    I have this exact bike, I swaped to Bontrager hardschell 25's they really are impressive, and came highly recomended over the conti gatorskins, (which is what i was used to and was intending to buy)

I tried the Hardshells as an alternative to Gatorskins. Not only did they puncture much more easily (on my ride) but were measureably slower too - so I gave them to someone I don't like....

I'm wondering about a Jake or similar (the Focus Mares for instance) as a real "winter" bike (ie when the conditions warrant ice tyres). Does anybody know if there's an ice tyre that fits a CX bike? Currently use Ice Spikers on my MTB but it's so slow.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    jawooga wrote:
    Thanks for the update. I have actually just bought some Schwalbe Marathon plus. Will see how they go, but I had heard bad things about the Continental cx tyres that come as standard on the Snake, so I'm looking forward to getting more suitable commuting tyres on. Cheers.

The Conti CX tyres that come as standard are NOT for road or commuting. Believe it it or not, they are very good cyclocross tyres designed for grass and mud :D

I've a Snake and so far I've had 23mm, 25mm and now 35mm tyres on. All have been good. The 23mm are a bit too harse for me and made no real gains in terms of speed to the 25mm.

The present 35mm CST Tuscany tyres are fairly heavy but knowing them from my MTB they should be bullet proof. I only put them on so now I have a good broad selection of bikes for all terrains.
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • Does anybody know if there's an ice tyre that fits a CX bike? Currently use Ice Spikers on my MTB but it's so slow.

35mm nokian hakkapeliitta w106 should fit a CX bike without any problems.

They don't seem commonly available but if you google for them there are a couple of places seem to sell them online.