Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

More important controversy than what kit you should wear

Posts

  • Cleat EastwoodCleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    By defining pi in terms of diameter, he said, "what you're really doing is defining it as the ratio of the circumference to twice the radius, and that factor of two haunts you throughout mathematics."


    D'oh I was just about to say that.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • davieseedaviesee Posts: 6,386
    By defining pi in terms of diameter, he said, "what you're really doing is defining it as the ratio of the circumference to twice the radius, and that factor of two haunts you throughout mathematics."


    D'oh I was just about to say that.

    Or....

    You could simply define it as the ratio of the circumerfence to the diameter and forget about the factor of 2.

    I think someome is playing games and I just got hooked :oops:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    edited June 2011
    What about area ?
    Pi x radius squared, or (Tau / 2) x radius squared.

    oh look, there's that dreded factor or 2 that they're maoning about :roll:

    Looks like some mathematicians somewhere are trying to justify their grants !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pauldavidpauldavid Posts: 392
    I never actually read any of the text on your link as it looked boring and tiresome even at just a quick glance. :shock:

    However I can deduce from the picture attached to the text that however you measure it, square the radius or factor twice - I would like a bigger slice of that pie than has been cut. :lol:
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    PieChart.jpg
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • pauldavidpauldavid Posts: 392
    Now that is much more my sort of pi(e) chart :D

    Having said that it does look a little radioactive, do they do it in a shade you don't need sunglasses on to eat it. 8)
  • AggieboyAggieboy Posts: 3,996
    MattC59 wrote:
    What about area ?
    Pi x radius squared, or (Tau / 2) x radius squared.

    oh look, there's that dreded factor or 2 that they're maoning about :roll:

    Looks like some mathematicians somewhere are trying to justify their grants !!



    Your English teachers obviously couldn't justify theirs. :lol::lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • verylonglegsverylonglegs Posts: 3,680
    Gives the nerds something to talk about other than Dr. Who I guess :wink:
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 1,428
    MattC59 wrote:
    PieChart.jpg

    Lemon Curd pie.

    Yum.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Aggieboy wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    What about area ?
    Pi x radius squared, or (Tau / 2) x radius squared.

    oh look, there's that dreded factor or 2 that they're maoning about :roll:

    Looks like some mathematicians somewhere are trying to justify their grants !!



    Your English teachers obviously couldn't justify theirs. :lol::lol:
    Wah Wah Wah :D
    Physics was my area.

    Anyway, I'd like to point out that they're typos, but even so I have to agree, that's p*ss poor of me for not noticing !!!
    That said, yesterday I discovered Brakespears Triple (7.2%) so it could have something to do with that :lol:
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • nottscobbnottscobb Posts: 147
    MattC59 wrote:
    Looks like some mathematicians somewhere are trying to justify their grants !!

    But also decided to overlook the amount it would actually cost to update all the text books in schools and universities to make the change actually happen. Given the state of education funding at the moment I think the last thing teachers want to have to spend money on is new maths books just because some group of mathematicians has decided to change pi for tau.
  • rick_chaseyrick_chasey Posts: 61,012 Lives Here
    nottscobb wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Looks like some mathematicians somewhere are trying to justify their grants !!

    But also decided to overlook the amount it would actually cost to update all the text books in schools and universities to make the change actually happen. Given the state of education funding at the moment I think the last thing teachers want to have to spend money on is new maths books just because some group of mathematicians has decided to change pi for tau.

    How hard is it to explain without a textbook?

    Seriously.
  • bompingtonbompington Posts: 7,674
    pauldavid wrote:
    I never actually read any of the text on your link as I couldn't understand it
    FTFY
  • chrisbachrisba Posts: 91
    Thanks for the Pie chart joke, on it's way to facebook...

    kinda related

    pacmancharthumor.jpg
  • ProssPross Posts: 31,647
    So some top level mathmeticians think it is too hard to multiply by 2?
  • Homer JHomer J Posts: 920
    Just use a ruler and a bit of string
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    chrisba wrote:
    Thanks for the Pie chart joke, on it's way to facebook...

    kinda related

    pacmancharthumor.jpg
    Goddamn it !!! that was the one I was looking for :D
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • All textbooks are changed every few years anyway so that's not an issue. Also it's not really about the maths you learn at school, it's for when people start to work in radians instead of degrees. This is important in electronics, navigation and bike wheels!
    All hail the FSM and his noodly appendage!
Sign In or Register to comment.