Anyone been to the alpe dhuez for the TdF?

Cornish-J
Cornish-J Posts: 978
edited July 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm going out to watch the last 3 stages of the tour - i wont have a car or bike etc and just wondering how i could get about half way up the alpe dhuez on the morning of the stage (from the bottom as i assume i can get a bus or something from grenoble, where im staying, to the bottom of the alpe dhuez.)

walk?

ski lift?

public transport of any kind?

any help appreciated.

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    Yes, you will be walking (along with thousands of others). A good way to see how tough the climb is and soak up the atmosphere!
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • Cornish-J
    Can you walk up anytime during the day? or is it closed from certain times.

according to the TdF website, the rides are supposed to start the ascent at around 4pm.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Cornish-J wrote:
    Can you walk up anytime during the day? or is it closed from certain times. according to the TdF website, the rides are supposed to start the ascent at around 4pm.
    You'll be fine at any time. Give yourself plenty of time though - to get to a nice height, to find a spot you like, to take in the atmosphere. It's best to be settled in somewhere before the caravan comes through. The closer you get to caravan time, the busier the road gets with all the race vehicles. You'll be able to slowly progress up hill as it passes, but it will be miserable and you'll miss the spectacle. Aim for lunchtime. Take a picnic.

Oh, and they'll start climbing around 5pm, not 4pm. They'll be at the top of the galibier, or just starting the descent, at 4.
    http://www.letour.fr/2011/TDF/COURSE/fr ... etape.html
  • Cornish-J
    thanks for the advice mate

ps: what's caravan time??
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Caravan time = the time the caravan passes through - it's the first column in the timetable (which I tried to link to unsucessfully: follow my link then click itineraire horaire half way down) : so it will be climbing 3.30pm - 4.00pm ish.

buses from grenoble to bourg d'oisans - http://www.transisere.fr
    (on the timetable, you have no problems. the website is full of warnings about the time trial causing disruption to the buses the following day but it seems OK for the Friday.) I'd get the first one there in the morning and be prepared to hitch back just in case.
  • kangar
    kangar Posts: 12
    Is it possible to park near the foot of the mountain? I've got a campervan but will only be there for the day.

Thanks
  • hammerite
    hammerite Posts: 3,408
    Kangar - It is possible to park at the foot of the mountain, but it won't be possible to park at the bottom for most of the week leading up to the race going through. It wouldn't surprise me if it's starting to fill up now! Just try to get as close as you can, and try to get there as early as you can.

Cornish-J - Be prepared for a hard walk up, it can get very hot, and it's a long walk to get high (if you want to get up near the Dutch it's probably a 6-7 mile/3 hour walk). Take plenty to drink with you. There's a cafe at bend 16, if you can't take loads of drink/food then that's an ideal spot to get something to eat/drink, it will be busy though.

If you want to get height and walk down it might be an idea to aim for Oz-en-Oisans or Vaujany and take the cable car over to Alpe d'Huez. You'd need to make sure the cable cars are working. I can't imagine that they won't be - as they're open for mountain bikers and walkers all summer anyway, apart from when the weather goes bad (we had to make a swift exit down the other year when we got caught in a thunderstorm).

http://www.alpedhueznet.com/lift-system-and-passes/alpe-d-huez-lift-system-summer.htm
  • kangar
    kangar Posts: 12
    Thanks hammerite. I thought as much......park and walk! Cheers