Looking for some servicing advice…

mrobbie
mrobbie Posts: 64
edited July 2011 in The workshop
I got my Trek 1.2 at the end of April, and it had its free check up (Action Bikes, Wimbledon) at the end of May. I recently completed a 400km cycle over 4 days, in the rain and so the bike is not feeling its best any more.

On the ride, the chain was lubed every day, and tyres kept up to correct pressures. Never had any mechanical issues over the 4 days so very happy with the bike, but it is now squeeking and creaking so know it needs a service.

Any recommendations in/around Wimbledon? Am I as well going back to Action Bikes, or are Evans (or others) a better choice.

Is a typical “stage 1” service all that would be needed? The bike has covered around 700 miles since April including the 4 day ride mentioned and a daily commute. Would there be anything recommended to replace, or any recommended work in addition to standard servicing items? It got new brake pads during the 400km ride.

Any info/guidance appreciated
Quite addicted to cycling now....

Comments

• craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    It might help if you could identify what was squeaking and creaking. I'm a fan of DIY servicing, easy enough with a set of allen keys and some lubes.

If you've been commuting in this rain then your transmission could probably do with extra TLC. Get a can of GT85 and make sure the mechs are moving freely.

I like to get my chain off every once in a while and give it a bath in white spirit (this degreases it and removes any embedded grit) followed by a thorough going over with your favourite brand of chain lube.

Whilst the chain is off get an old toothbrush and some more white spirit and give the chain rings, cassette and jockey wheels a bit of a scrub.

As for the creaking... check your headset for play, you could try to check your cranks / bottom bracket (extra tools required) and seat post. If it's aluminium then tighten. If it's carbon then don't.
  • mrobbie
    Thansk mr_si

The creaking is around the crank/pedal/bottom bracket area - only does it when actually riding the bike, pdealling with the rear wheel in the air does not do it.

I would love to DIY service the bike, but with 2 young kids the free time just never comes around - weekends are spent with the family, and this is time I woud rather not give up.
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    do most of my servicing at lunchtime, so it doesn't interfere with family time, although the Summer cycling seems to put paid to that
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    After getting three young 'uns to bed of an evening I like nothing more than disappearing to the shed with a cup of tea and a slightly creaky bike to sort out. :D
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sounds like the creaking might be the chain, mine does that when it's needs lube, it's being replaced as it is stretched but would only creak when power is applied through it and it was how you describe, the BB crank area.

It could also be that the BB cups and or splines on the crankset are dry and need some lithium grease, mine did that a month or so after buying the bike and it's just something that needs doing from time to time.
  • Paul E
    Paul E Posts: 2,052
    Sounds like the creaking might be the chain, mine does that when it's needs lube, it's being replaced as it is stretched but would only creak when power is applied through it and it was how you describe, the BB crank area.

It could also be that the BB cups and or splines on the crankset are dry and need some lithium grease, mine did that a month or so after buying the bike and it's just something that needs doing from time to time.
  • mrobbie
    Well, spent some time last night cleaning and lubing chain, and lubed the BB and pedals, but it is still creaking. Have booked it in to get a stage 1 service just to be sure.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I had an incurable creak which I was convinced was coming from the BB/crank area and it turned out to be the seatpost. A quick re-grease and it was fine.
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    I diagnosed a 'creaky BB' as a loose rear wheel! QR wasn't doing what it was supposed to, it felt tight but wheel could be removed with a quick tug. New QR made the noise go away. :)
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • mrobbie
    Bike back from a service yesterday and all running smooth and quiet again.

Going to spend some time at the weekend to properly clean the bike though - my quick clean & lube of the chain worked, but seeing the new bikes in the shop yesterday has got me wanting to clean it properly to get it all shiney and new again :lol:

Also found myself plotting upgrades last night while reading bike mags... :roll:
  • Koncordski
    Koncordski Posts: 1,009
    Keeping the chain and gears shiny is my new obsession. I hate that black/grey paste that builds up after a few weeks. Having removable KMC chain links has been a godsend, jar of whitespirit for the chain every few weeks is on the calendar. :wink:

#1 Brompton S2L Raw Lacquer, Leather Mudflaps
    #2 Boeris Italia race steel
    #3 Scott CR1 SL
    #4 Trek 1.1 commuter
    #5 Peugeot Grand Tourer (Tandem)
  • mrobbie
    Could not wait! Degreased gears and chain last night, scrub-a-dub with a chain brush and can of chain cleaner, bit more degrease and a wipe down with a rag followed by a spray of dry lube. Looks awesome 8)

Surprised that the bike shop did not do this as part of their service though.... it does mention clean and lube of gears and chain in the work list.... more fun doing it DIY I guess.