Avid Juicy three, which pads to get?

russboy
russboy Posts: 436
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
There seems to be so many choices, any ideas? I'm happy with replacing like for like as they need doing as i've prob done 2k miles on them now!

Also is there an east fitting guide about?

Thanks

Russ

Comments

• warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    I use Superstar Sintered. Have done for a couple of years now without problems. Removing them is just a case of pulling them out by the tabs, either by hand or with a pair of pliers. Then just push the new ones in until they 'click'. It can take some force (or even a tap with something).
  • 101_North
    101_North Posts: 607
    Clarks from Chain Reaction. Similar price as Superstar pads and in my experience a better fit in the caliper making them easier to fit and remove.

• PXR5
    PXR5 Posts: 203
    I'm about to swap for a second time my Clarks Sintered pads, work well for me and a fair bit cheaper than the Avid ones- changing pads the first time can be a bit of an event !!

Most important tip i can give is to make sure the old pads are fully retracted before taking them out, as they're going to be knackered anyway use a flat bladed screwdriver or something similar to ensure they are pressed hard back into the calipers before popping them out, otherwise you'll not have enough space to easily fit the new full thickness pads in..
    Every time I go out, I think I'm being checked out, faceless people watching on a TV screen.....
  • russboy
    So the clarks on chain reaction have organic or sintered:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35413

Which should I be going for & are they the same front & back?

Cheers,

Russ
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    They are expensive but the the aftermarket Avid pads are nothing like the OE pads. Try them you won't be disappointed.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    If you cant get the pads to click in make sure the spring clip isnt full of crud. Clean it out with a cotton bud or give it a squirt with brake cleaner.

My mate has Goodridge sintered in his Juicy 5s and they seem to be lasting forever he went through the expensive Avid pads in about 4 months
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • russboy
    Russboy wrote:
    So the clarks on chain reaction have organic or sintered:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=35413

Which should I be going for & are they the same front & back?

Cheers,

Russ

Gonna go for the cheap ones for now listed here, anyone able to answer my questions?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Disco brakes
    http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=2&

or superstar
    http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/index.ph ... 55f5977cbd

go for kevlar or organic for summer or sintered for winter, depending on riding conditions.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Just go for sintered all conditions.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Mojo_666
    Mojo_666 Posts: 860
    I also get clarkes from chain reaction 4 at a time..works out so cheap, good pads for the money for sure.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    eXotics (ebay) are the same price as superstar and CRC.....the set of Superatsr sintered we had (J5's) had a badly made backplate and wouldn't fit, we got a refund but due to slow rsponce from SS got the eXotics while we were waiting and have had no issues with them.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • russboy
    Mojo_666 wrote:
    I also get clarkes from chain reaction 4 at a time..works out so cheap, good pads for the money for sure.

Cool, thanks everyone for your replies.

So as per my link I just need to order 2 sets as they will fit the front & rears no probs?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Yes
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools