Ever just randomly buy things off ebay?

2»

Comments

• Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Royal Enfield made rifles. As KB said, the .303 bolt action (think Micheal Caine not shooting "until you can see the whites of their eyes") and they also jointly designed and manufactured the Bren and Sten guns with the Czechs in WWII.
    The 'en' in Bren and Sten stands for Enfield (The 'br' stand for Brno.

The former factories are now largley social housing (with a really bad reputation, the buses don't go into the estate) and what was the local nightclub (called Rifles) is now closed and derelict.
    http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ll= ... 8,,0,-6.49

I think you'll find the Michael Caine Zulu War rifle was the breech loading .57 Martini-Henry and not the Lee-Enfield which was bolt action with a 5 shot magazine - my bit of pedantry for the day :wink:
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Royal Enfield made rifles. As KB said, the .303 bolt action (think Micheal Caine not shooting "until you can see the whites of their eyes") and they also jointly designed and manufactured the Bren and Sten guns with the Czechs in WWII.

The former factories are now largley social housing (with a really bad reputation, the buses don't go into the estate) and what was the local nightclub (called Rifles) is now closed and derelict.

I think you'll find the Michael Caine Zulu War rifle was the breech loading .57 Martini-Henry and not the Lee-Enfield which was bolt action with a 5 shot magazine - my bit of pedantry for the day :wink:

I stand corrected. I bow to J's superior geekiness.
    .57! Thats a hell of a slug!!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Jay dubbleU
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Believe it or not it fired a soft low velocity slug that wouldn't penetrate the oxhide shields used by the Zulus so the fight wasn't as one sided as it would appear
  • flicksta
    flicksta Posts: 157
    Oh yes.

Two particular episodes spring to mind. Firstly a drunken Friday night watching Dave Mirra at the X-Games yielded a KHE Cosmic BMX and Skyway Tuff II mag wheels. Barely even rode it before sold at a small loss.

The best was a drunken taxi ride home where the taxi driver told me of his love for Hong Kong action films and Chow Yun Fat in particular. Imagine my surprise when waking up in the morning to find I have bought about 10 DVD's.
  • flicksta wrote:
    Oh yes.

Two particular episodes spring to mind. Firstly a drunken Friday night watching Dave Mirra at the X-Games yielded a KHE Cosmic BMX and Skyway Tuff II mag wheels. Barely even rode it before sold at a small loss.

The best was a drunken taxi ride home where the taxi driver told me of his love for Hong Kong action films and Chow Yun Fat in particular. Imagine my surprise when waking up in the morning to find I have bought about 10 DVD's.

I hope The Magnificent Butcher landed on your doormat. Classic film.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Believe it or not it fired a soft low velocity slug that wouldn't penetrate the oxhide shields used by the Zulus so the fight wasn't as one sided as it would appear

150 soldiers against 4000 Zulu warriors would appear to be fairly one sided...

As to the slugs: at the time slow firing slugs causing huge amounts of tumbling damage when they hit were vogue as they not only injured the combatant they also tied up support staff (plus they hadn't quote got to modern gunpowder at the time so needed more black powder to push the damn thing (bigger cross section)
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    ahhhh the Enfield .303 rifle, remember them well, in fact my cadet unit only disposed of their .303 parade rifles three weeks ago!!

These days cadets use the Cadet GP A1 or A2 rifle which is essentially a 5.56 (SA80 as it's popularly known). They are about as good as useless and you might as well throw the bullets at the enemy for all the use they are. :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • EKE_38BPM
    NGale wrote:
    ahhhh the Enfield .303 rifle, remember them well, in fact my cadet unit only disposed of their .303 parade rifles three weeks ago!!

These days cadets use the Cadet GP A1 or A2 rifle which is essentially a 5.56 (SA80 as it's popularly known). They are about as good as useless and you might as well throw the bullets at the enemy for all the use they are. :lol:

I've heard that the SA80 5.56 is rubbish.
    Aside from not being able to use it left handed, the problems with it jamming (now solved?) and the shorter effective range. What is wrong with it?

It must be good for something!

• NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:

Aside from not being able to use it left handed, the problems with it jamming (now solved?) and the shorter effective range. What is wrong with it?

The jamming issue has been pretty much solved unless being used in humid and sandy conditions...hmmmm wonder where that might be a problem!.

There is a new 5.56 weapon due to come into service somewhere around 2013 which addresses the problems of the jamming and can be used left or right handed.

It's still a right handed only weapon, hence my medical status being classified as B1 rather than A1 fit. Hence my being turned down to the RAF a few years back and if I was called up on consciption I could only be called into 'Training or personnel' roles. I am not only left handed when shooting, but I also have poor vision in my right eye. (6/60 uncorrected, 6/36 to 6/24 corrected)
  • EKE_38BPM
    NGale wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:

The jamming issue has been pretty much solved unless being used in humid and sandy conditions...hmmmm wonder where that might be a problem!.

There is a new 5.56 weapon due to come into service somewhere around 2013 which addresses the problems of the jamming and can be used left or right handed.

It's still a right handed only weapon, hence my medical status being classified as B1 rather than A1 fit. Hence my being turned down to the RAF a few years back and if I was called up on consciption I could only be called into 'Training or personnel' roles. I am not only left handed when shooting, but I also have poor vision in my right eye. (6/60 uncorrected, 6/36 to 6/24 corrected)

But its super accurate and devistating over shortish range, right? What makes it so good that it was given to the troops despite it's short commings?

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The .57 can penetrate a shield and did, while the British lost the battle of Islandwana (? spelling as from memory) they won the war as the Zulus lost the cream of their troops in the battle, partly how they held out at Rorkes drift, the Zulus were never again a cohesive force after the combined losses.

The Lee-Metford was 5 shot, most Lee-Enfields including the mk4 were 10, including the 1930's date stamped ones we had in the cadets.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    NGale wrote:

But its super accurate and devistating over shortish range, right? What makes it so good that it was given to the troops despite it's short commings?

In close quarters fighting it does the job, however it''s current usage in Afghanistan is useless. The enemy has quickly adapted to the weapons limitations and fights outside of it's effective zone, so the 5.56 become as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Now the 7.76 would be effect both in close quarters and distances, yet the MOD here don't want to invest heavily in it and choose to stick with the 5.56 in standard and LSW forms.

The SA80 as a weapon is over 40 years old in design and shows it's age as a result but because all soliders, sailors and airmen can use it and get to know it quickly that's why we stick with it even though it's a bit useless.
  • EKE_38BPM
    So, an SA80 is an OK weapon in urban close quarter battles in dry conditions, if you are right handed.

Great, I'll get one for when I go to South London, as long as its not raining.

• NGale
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    So, an SA80 is an OK weapon in urban close quarter battles in dry conditions, if you are right handed.

Great, I'll get one for when I go to South London, as long as its not raining.

Essentially yes, just don't take it to Afghanistan on holiday :lol:

I've have to learn to use the cadet GP A2 and the SA80 right handed (even though it is very uncomfortable for me). I now have a few footballing colleagues from the Marines who know not to get on the wrong side of me because 'The bird can use a rifle and shoot better than any Matlot' :lol:
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    I remember using the L98 A1 when I was a cadet. Useless thing as you say.

I have a habit of buying cars while surfing eBay smashed. My record is 3 in one evening. :D
  • NGale
    ste_ wrote:
    I remember using the L98 A1 when I was a cadet. Useless thing as you say.

I have a habit of buying cars while surfing eBay smashed. My record is 3 in one evening. :D

Yep remember the L98 as well. Also used to fire the L81 which actually dislocated my shoulder and landed me in Hillingdon Hospital! :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    The .57 can penetrate a shield and did, while the British lost the battle of Islandwana (? spelling as from memory) they won the war as the Zulus lost the cream of their troops in the battle, partly how they held out at Rorkes drift, the Zulus were never again a cohesive force after the combined losses.

The Lee-Metford was 5 shot, most Lee-Enfields including the mk4 were 10, including the 1930's date stamped ones we had in the cadets.

Simon

You are now geek of the week :)

When I were a lad (audience sighs shuffles feet etc) we we given a proper rifle - the SLR 7.62mm which could put a bullet through a brick wall.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    Pics Added of ye old "bullet" anyone any ideas how old etc?

IMG_0137_2.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    mudcow007 wrote:

Very!

You've bought yourself a project. I thought it had SA hub gears. Less sacreligious to convert that to fixed as it has a derailleur.

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    they guy i bought it off said it was around 1962, but i just bought the "enfield" catalogue for 1960's an there is no mention of the bike?!

brakes are 1955 odd though?!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    I like that. I'd definitely keep the well used look. It would be a shame to paint it. I agree with EKE, converting to fixed wouldn't be too out of order.
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    mudcow007 wrote:

IMG_0137_2.jpg

IMG_0139.jpg

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

Wow, that's a classic. Do it up to its original condition and post pics here:
    http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/index.html
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.