David Millar

geordieindevon
geordieindevon Posts: 127
edited July 2011 in The bottom bracket
An interesting read:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/ ... vid-millar

Interesting viewpoint about crashing....

Comments

• daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Crashing?

That thought scares me :shock:

But I rarely get to 40 mph :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    Rarely do 40 mph ? Try using EPO and Cortisone like David Millar !

(oops, perhaps a bit cruel there, sorry David)
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    cycologist wrote:

Got to 46 mph today!

Downhill :oops:

And hit the brakes cos I bottled it :oops: :oops: :oops:

I think you get a higher sense of mortality ( but not morality :wink: ) as you get older but if I ever get to 40 mph on the flat I'll let you know 8)
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    cycologist wrote:

+ 8 - and no, not cruel at all. Personally I think he should have been immediatley banned for life like all other dopers, but there you go ....... Welcome the cheats back into the sport with open arms and wonder why people are still doped up .......
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

+ 8 - and no, not cruel at all. Personally I think he should have been immediatley banned for life like all other dopers, but there you go ....... Welcome the cheats back into the sport with open arms and wonder why people are still doped up .......
    You might care to read up on the Millar story. It's nothing like as black and white as you seem to think.

Personally, I think he's paid his dues. Also, isn't it nice to have a pro-cyclist with something intelligent to say?
  • Simon Notley
    Simon Notley Posts: 1,263
    I like Millar because he is considered and articulate and generally has something interesting to say. I also like him because he is a courageous and inspiring rider. Because I like him, I really want to believe he is clean, but I'm not sure I can; not because of anything he has said or done, but because of the number of his colleagues and friends being implicated.
  • bristolpete
    bristolpete Posts: 2,255
    He forgets to mention that he was shagging another man's wife but hey ho, what goes around comes around and all that. He is a self indulgent twat.
  • Yossie
    15peter20 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

You might care to read up on the Millar story. It's nothing like as black and white as you seem to think.

Personally, I think he's paid his dues. Also, isn't it nice to have a pro-cyclist with something intelligent to say?

Nah - he's a doping cheat who lied to his friends, family, coaches, sponsors and the public, stole clean rider's dreams and aspirations and believes that by saying sorry he's making recompense for his cheatin'. thievin' ways.

Utter sheer bollards its not black and white: get syringe. Inject dopage. Race and pretend that you are clean. Yes it is black and white. End of.

Should have been banned for life and stripped of everything he won liek every other doper - be it they be a Brit or not ...........

You might care to read up on morals ..............
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yossie wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

Nah - he's a doping cheat who lied to his friends, family, coaches, sponsors and the public, stole clean rider's dreams and aspirations and believes that by saying sorry he's making recompense for his cheatin'. thievin' ways.

Utter sheer bollards its not black and white: get syringe. Inject dopage. Race and pretend that you are clean. Yes it is black and white. End of.

Should have been banned for life and stripped of everything he won liek every other doper - be it they be a Brit or not ...........

Presumably you've never lied, ever? Or exceeded the speed limit? Or taken a biro from work?
    Other people's sins are always black and white...
  • Yossie
    bompington wrote:

Presumably you've never lied, ever? Or exceeded the speed limit? Or taken a biro from work?

Of course I have but I've never injected myself with an illegal substance to cheat my sport and supporters and then lied about it until being arrested - does anyone actually think that if he wouldn't have been arrested he would have held his hands up and said "errrr, guys, I'm smacked up to the eyeballs?"

Errr, no, didn't think so.

Comparing stealing a biro to being a doper ........ Sheeesh.

Doper. Cheat. Ban him for life together with the rest of them.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Yossie wrote:
    bompington wrote:

Of course I have but I've never injected myself with an illegal substance to cheat my sport and supporters and then lied about it until being arrested - does anyone actually think that if he wouldn't have been arrested he would have held his hands up and said "errrr, guys, I'm smacked up to the eyeballs?"

Errr, no, didn't think so.

Comparing stealing a biro to being a doper ........ Sheeesh.

Doper. Cheat. Ban him for life together with the rest of them.
    So what you're saying, then, is that you have broken the law and had moral failings, but his is to a different degree - a different shade of grey, perhaps?
  • Yossie
    No - what I'm saying is that he is a doper and a cheat and that he should be banned for life - along with all other dopers.

Everyone has failings - if I get caught speeding, then I get banned. Do it on a grand enough scale and you get banned for life/banged up.

If you want a clean sport, then you have to clean out the trash. End of.

So, going on your logic, lets welcome Ricco back shall we? After all, he only did the same stuff as Davey Dopage did ......
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't think bans for life should be used. He fcuked up and was young. Everyone deserves a second chance, don't they ?

Perspective applies here, they let rapists out early from a sentence to rejoin society, so WTF is wrong with a bit of chemical stimulation to ride faster that doesn't deserve a bit of leeway ?
  • KeimanP
    KeimanP Posts: 46
    Yossie wrote:
    Everyone has failings - if I get caught speeding, then I get banned. Do it on a grand enough scale and you get banned for life/banged up.

So there are shades of grey? If you get caught speeding you get a ticket, points and another chance... get caught again and your more likely to loose your licence? You can get 12 points for driving and still keep your licence depending on your circumstances.

If everyone who speeds however much were to loose their licence we would have empty roads! If it was Black and White.
    Specialized Allez Sport 2010
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    15peter20 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

Plus he's probably been the most pro-active in helping the anti-doping agencies and governing bodies close the gaps in testing procedures.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • 15peter20
    15peter20 Posts: 293
    Yossie wrote:
    15peter20 wrote:
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

Jesus, what an absolute blert you are. Don't lecture me on morals my friend - I sleep well at night. Like I said, you clearly haven't read up on the story, or you are an ignorant, blowhard fool. "End of"
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    Yes, he did all that and I guess this has been dissected before. Would he have admitted it without being caught? Who knows.
    He knows what he did was stupid and to be banned for x years from the sport you make a living from is a fair punishment IMO. He knows how much that set him back, and I bet he thinks about it every time he gets on a bike. He has also been candid about the whole experience. Regardless of your opinion of the whole sorry story he may still offer a view, and I agree it is good to hear from someone who has a cogent and thoughtful few things to say about the sport.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Yossie wrote:
    cycologist wrote:

So a sufficiently tough punishment prevents the crime...sort of like the death penalty and murder...oh...wait...

What is needed are sufficiently tough tests. A two year ban seems reasonable, when you consider how short a career most cyclists have.

Also consider that doping is in the scheme of things, a very minor crime, and that in Millar's day, everyone was doing it.

I would have welcomed Ricco back, but he broke the rules again, so has to be banned.
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • Pseudonym
    Pseudonym Posts: 1,032
    He forgets to mention that he was shagging another man's wife but hey ho, what goes around comes around and all that. He is a self indulgent fool.

I expect plenty of people say the same about you. You've clearly never met him....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Pseudonym wrote:
    He forgets to mention that he was shagging another man's wife but hey ho, what goes around comes around and all that. He is a self indulgent fool.

I expect plenty of people say the same about you. You've clearly never met him....[/quote

:D ]