Is my Rear derailleur bent ?

JamesFree
JamesFree Posts: 703
edited September 2011 in Workshop
Have just bought this second hand dura-ace mech and having a few problems setting it up and have also noticed that from behind it looks bent, comparing it to my other bikes it doesnt look normal, please advise.

It has had a carbon cage added by the previous owner

Thanks

rear.jpg

Comments

• JamesFree
    It would appear its definitely bent, as put on my old mech and it goes straight down.

Grrr how annoying, hope the guy is kent enough to refund me !
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    You'd be going some to bend a mech outwards - they usually get pulled inwards or crash-damaged. Perhaps the carbon cage had been installed incorrectly?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    Not easy to tell from pic but are you sure it's bent as it doesn't look like it's lined up properly by way of cable set up :?
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • Almost looks like it's cross-threaded in the hanger to me.
  • Almost looks like it's cross-threaded in the hanger to me.

Yep, or the hanger is also bent. I have the same problem with my new bike - it doesn't take much distortion in the hanger to push the whole thing out of alignment. What does it lok like from behind? i.e is it out of alignment in more than one axes?
  • JamesFree
    Hanger is fine as just put on my old mech and its 100% straight

Its wierd as the cage is flush to the body of the mech but it almost seems twisted definitely not right.

I bought it from a guy on here so hopefully he will refund me when i get it back to him
  • mcj78
    mcj78 Posts: 634
    Did you solve this? I only ask as my rear mech recently took a detour through my spokes (low speed thankfully) & bent the hanger, I replaced it, but now the shifting on the top half of the cassette seems decidedly "off" - checked the dropouts & they look straight, under close inspection though it almost seems as though something in the body of the rear mech has twisted slightly - the cage looks straight but isn't hanging 100% vertically but the mech itself looks perfect, gonna remove it & try to straighten it & see how that turns out, digits crossed - hope you got your problem resolved anyway!
    J
    Moda Issimo
    Genesis Volare 853
    Charge Filter Apex
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    mcj78 wrote:
    I replaced it, but now the shifting on the top half of the cassette seems decidedly "off" - checked the dropouts & they look straight, under close inspection though it almost seems as though something in the body of the rear mech has twisted slightly - the cage looks straight but isn't hanging 100% vertically but the mech itself looks perfect,

I had this problem for months... indexing impossible to set-up properly. I gave in and took it to a mechanic, expecting to be told hanger was bent, but after checking with their alignment tool they worked out the derailleur was bent and needed replacing. Probably worth going to your LBS to get it looked at.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey