Wheels for under 200

XtotheZ
XtotheZ Posts: 24
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi
Ive been thinking of buying some Mavic Askiums but was just wondering are there any other decent wheels for around 200? Mainly for a bit of u16 racing
Thanks

Comments

• DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Yup. Kinetic.

Lighter than the Aksiums. Hubs and bearings sweet as anything.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    +1 kinetics love em, look lovely roll fast and bomb proof... Not been off my bike since I got them.
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,832
    Planet X Model B
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • deadlegs
    deadlegs Posts: 56
    +1 for model Bs. Light, smooth bearings, cheap but loud freehub.
    Summer: Canyon Ultimate CF SL 2019
    Winter/Commuter: Planet X RT-58 6700
    Dead: Specialized Allez Elite 2009
  • shane r
    shane r Posts: 326
    +1 for Kinetic. Love mine, took off some Aksium's to put mine on. Kinetic's customer service is about the best I've ever come across.
    Coupla Road Bikes
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    shane r wrote:
    +1 for Kinetic. Love mine, took off some Aksium's to put mine on. Kinetic's customer service is about the best I've ever come across.

Glad you like em fella, I'm going to get a 2nd pair once my current ones are worn out r I might even put them on a cx build im planning.

I find mine really stiff too
  • lef
    lef Posts: 728
    +1 model b's
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    I bought Pro-Lite Braccianos for 190 from Ribble and love them to bits, great climbing wheels. But they're hard to get due to the popularity and the price has gone up a bit lately.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • kfinlay
    kfinlay Posts: 763
    Model B's or Bracciano's - I have these and they are excellent for the money even if they've gone above £200 - much lighter than the others too (1480g) where as Model B's are aroun 1650g IIRC and those Kinetics are 1900g+
    Some say the Model Bs could be stiffer. I find the Braccianos comfortable yet still stiff (run them with GP4000s tyres) - don't know about the Kinetics but obviously good comments above.
    There's also the bomb proof Fulcrum 5s - don't worry about loud freehubs - a bit of grease on the stepped part of the hub where the pawls engage makes them quieter.

HTH
    Kev

Summer Bike: Colnago C60
    Winter Bike: Vitus Alios
    MTB: 1997 GT Karakorum
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Quest do a version of the Braccianos called Scafell for £250.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Model B's for £100 you can't go wrong, they replaced a pair of Aksiums on my winter bike, just so much better!
  • psiturbo
    psiturbo Posts: 64
    41HhvJAhthL._AA300_.jpg

Aksyums, maybe a little heavier, but solid wheelset.

Have been through downtown cobblestones, rain or shine and those things stay true. The spokes are "aerodynamic" with the flat design instead of round.

If you find the right time, with weekly or season online offers can be bought for around 200.00.
  • pjm300
    pjm300 Posts: 58
    Quest do a version of the Braccianos called Scafell for £250.

anyone got any experience of these? they look pretty good for the money
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    Flasher wrote:
    Model B's for £100 you can't go wrong, they replaced a pair of Aksiums on my winter bike, just so much better!
    I think model B's for £100 are a thing of the past, unfortunately. They are still the answer to the original question. They make it pointless spending between £125 and £350.
  • Add me onto the Kinetic One wheels fan club.

I own 2 sets of them )2010 Black version and 2011 Red version)

Awesome, amazing, good looking, roll sweet as you like and take some serious punishment as I use them full time and when I say all weather I mean all weather, I rode them all through winter.

You don't need look elsewhere for any other sub £200 wheels, Kinetic One have it sorted. ;)