Shimano Splined Discs with Avid Calipers

MrFlibble
MrFlibble Posts: 15
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am in the process of building my new hardtail and have been waiting for the last two months to order the new wheels. Now that I am ready to purchase it turns out that very very few shops have Shimano XT 6-bolt hubs in let alone Merlin which is where I am buying from (price is a major factor in this).

As such I have decided to go for the splined hubs instead, my only conundrum is whether to go with adaptors and bolt on discs and thus extra weight or to use Shimanos splined discs. I have had conflicting reports as to whether they are compatible with Avid calipers Merlin say no but I have seen on here and other forums that people have managed to use them together. On investigating the splined rotors I have noticed that rather than the 185mm avid disc that I would be using if going for on the bolt optionshimano use a 180mm rotor.

Does anyone know if this will this slightly smaller rotor will cause my Avid Juicy 7 Ultimate calipers any problems? Am I likely to get problems with unusual wear on either the disc or pads?
Kona Kula Gold

Trek 6000

Giant Trance 3

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    IIRC the shimano one are OK BUT not 100% sure.

what about the avid splined rotors?

I would go adaptor myself. I seem to have read somewhere that certain disc adaptor combo worked out lighter.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • MrFlibble
    Nick,

I didn't even know that Avid did splined rotors, I think a quick googling is in order to see whats what.

I may opt to go with the adaptors and bolt on rotors so that I have the option going forward then I can use either as I need to in line with options further down the line.
    Kona Kula Gold

Trek 6000

Giant Trance 3
  • nicklouse
    new for 2011

2012-g3_cleansweep_center_lock-hero-en.jpg
    2012-cleansweep_x_center_lock-hero-en.jpg
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
  • nicklouse
    here is an Avid Shimano combo

IMG00061-20090909-2140.jpg
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    I'd avoid the shimano splined rotor / Juicy 7 caliper combo. The cheaper shimano discs with the small spiders fit ok (I've used them with my Juicy 3's), however they're stamped up 'resin pad only', If you're running Juicy 7's then chances are you're running sintered pads. The more expensive rotors have bigger spiders that can foul the pads as shown above.

If you've already got the discs I'd go for adaptors. Superstar sell them for £15 a pair. Avid splined rotors aren't cheap !
  • nicklouse
    the for resin only is only to cover Shimanos backs. they work better with sintered pads and run quieter.
  • MrFlibble
    My mate has donated a deore splined disc for me so I will be trying it onm the back with the adaptor running up front.

Dave, I noticed the resin pad only sticker on the disc when he gave it to me this morning, but I figure that I will just see how it goes with the sintered pads and if it turns into a rapid wear issue then I'llhave an answer on that front at least.

I think that I will run with this and then when I have the money and need I will switch to the avid splined discs as hopefully they will be stocked a little more widely and thus be a little cheaper :D
    Kona Kula Gold

Trek 6000

Giant Trance 3
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    What Nick said. I run Shimano rotors with sintered pads, the rotors are the same as any other and last just as long.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools