Glazed Pads

Tutterz
Tutterz Posts: 27
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I've got an 09 Specialized Pitch which until lately has been a cracking bike, after fixing a few broken things and general niggles after i had an off about a month a go slowly things have been beginning to die on the bike, which is fine. I can replace everything that needs to be replaced but one of my troubles may end up contributing to my death :lol:

Ive got Hayes Stroker Ryde's on the bike which seem decent especially for my first hydraulics (even though i think the cables ones on my old bike performed better) but lately the back break has been kicking up a fuss with a lack of power (i cant lock it up no matter what speed im going) initially i thought it just must need bleeding and adjusting, bled two times later and readjusted its still been working equally as crap as before.
Then I was at dalby forest yesterday and over heard the techy at the purple cafe talking to a cyclist who was also having troubles with a break and bleeding didnt fix it which then the techy diagnosed glazed pads so I thought great that must be whats wrong with mine, ill sort it when i get home.

Lo and behold I took my pads out and they were glazed, super shiny and slick feeling so i set about cleaning the rotor with white spirits and sanding back the pads with wet and dry paper to get rid of the glaze, put it all back together again, took it for a little ride up the road and its still no better, ive performed this three times now and as soon as i apply heavy braking pressure they just glaze back over straight away and I'm really started to get pissed off now..
I'm aware glazing can be caused by poor ventilation or over heating of the disc but surely after braking heavy (trying to perform a skid) 3-4 times cant cause enough heat to glaze the pads again!

Only thing I can think of is ive just got crappy pads and could maybe do with buying some new ones, even though the previous owner had them done a month or two before i bought the bike of him and ive only rode it 10 or so times since then! I'm hoping one of you guys can help me or im throwing the Ryde's out the window and going back to mechanical discs!

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    white spirit is not a good cleaner. it leaves to much residue behind.

clean the rotors and replace the pads.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • I would try roughening the pads with a lower grit number than than wet and dry, this should make the surface more resistant to glazing. Personally wouldn't clean the rotors with white spirit either brake cleaner or degreaser for me and only if you think they are contaminated.
  • Tutterz
    Thanks for the quick replies lads, ill sand the pads with a grittier sand paper. Any any idea what I could use to clean the rotors which would be better than spirits then?
  • brake cleaner...think you can use isopropyl alcohol to.
    Cube Acid 2011
  • chedabob
    chedabob Posts: 1,133
    Apparently brake cleaner leaves a residue too as bike pads don't get anywhere near hot enough to burn it off. You can get Isopropyl Alcohol off eBay for dirt cheap though.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Get new pads, there's a strong chance that the current ones have been ruined by the white spirits. The pads will have absorbed some of it.

Use Isopropyl alchohol to clean the rotors.
    I've used motorcycle disc brake cleaner in the past, and, quite apart from the issue that chedabob mentions, I found that my brake pads just disintegrated afterwards, like the cleaner had destroyed the bonding agent. The braking material turned into a powder, and then came away from the metal backing.
  • Tutterz
    got some new pads ordered, got some Isopropyl alcohol in the garage somewhere, just need to find it!
    Also found out after more research the rotor can get glazed too, so i think when my new pads get here ill take some fine sandpaper to it then clean it up with Isopropyl!
    Thanks for all the help everyone, I was starting to think i was going to need a new brake! :P