Forgive me, yet another question. This time re Chainsets

dragonontheedge
dragonontheedge Posts: 496
edited June 2011 in Workshop
I have a 2008 Allez 18 which I bought secondhand 2 years ago. I recently changed the chain and cassette and monitor chain wear with one of those rule things.

Here's the rub. The "upgrading" bug has caught up with me and I am looking for an excuse to change the chainset (currently Sora). My current group set is a mixture of Sora, Tiagra and 105.

It occurs to me that at 4000 + miles my Sora chainset may not have much life left in. Anyway do I want, sorry need, to change (read "upgrade") it ?

If it makes any odds the chain that came off the bike after I bought it was shagged beyond shagdom with the ruler slapping about in the link free using the 100% end.

Cheers me dears.

Al
Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If a new chain doesn't skip on the chainring then it isn't too badly worn, so I can't say you need a new one.

However, I suspect that you want a new one, but I can't give you the excuse you're looking for!
  • keef66 wrote:
    If a new chain doesn't skip on the chainring then it isn't too badly worn, so I can't say you need a new one.

However, I suspect that you want a new one, but I can't give you the excuse you're looking for!

Thanks for nothing :D

No skipping, so i assume its ok.............................................bugger.

Cheers

Al
    Hey, maybe you haven't been keeping up on current events, but we just got our asses kicked, pal!
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Yes - its all knackered beyond belief and is a safety issue.

All it's fit for is sending to Helmand th throw at Terry T. We don't even clean stuff before we throw it at Terry, that's how much we dislike him.

Really, 105 is the minimum you should be looking for to replace it: anything else is, again, a safety hazard: basically if you go for Tiagra or Sora you're just delaying an inevitable huge accident that will lead to paralysis and a vegetative state inflicting years of mental and physical trauma on your loved ones before your wife goes off with your best mate and pulls the plug on you as watch, helpless and defenceless in your hospital bed.

She'll probably also shag him in your hospital room in front of you to make you realise that riding your bike with Tiagra/Sora whilst full well knowing the consequences of these actions was basically like putting two fingers up to your family and that you deserve to suffer like she has.

Ideally Red, Dura Ace or Super Record 11 should be your new groupsets of choice as they have the best safety records.

HTH

Y
  • Holy Bottom Brackets. Serious stuff, I never realised. :cry:

Thanks for that good, sound and rational advice.

Must go, I need to sort this immediately..............................................."Sram Red" you say :twisted:
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Holy Bottom Brackets. Serious stuff, I never realised. :cry:

Thanks for that good, sound and rational advice.

Must go, I need to sort this immediately..............................................."Sram Red" you say :twisted:

No problem at all - happy to help wherever I can.

We actually never blow up anything or shoot anything with having at least one piece of Red on us at all times for safety's sake. The amount of times having a small yet very light rear mech on my person has made that tiny amount of difference ........