Finally bought a dropper seat post

dan shard
dan shard Posts: 722
edited February 2012 in MTB general
Cant wait to get out see what its like. The trigger seems a little stiff but hopefully it'll settle in once ive used it

SDC11590.jpg

SDC11591.jpg

Comments

• Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    oooo What drop is that?
  • dan shard
    Tis a DNM ASP R dropper. 'Only' 85 mm of drop but thats more than enough as you can see from the photo

Happy days...I do like a bit of bling
  • Thewaylander
    Hmmm want summat with more myself need 100-125 :s let us know how it goes on it though, be interested to have read :)
  • Errr, that looks like it's on backwards...
    ::'11 Pitch Pro::
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    as above.
    Looks just like a KSi900, apart from being the opposite way round.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    Errr, that looks like it's on backwards...

This.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You're allowed to mount posts back to front, if you want to have the seat far forwards. Course most of the time it just means the person did it by mistake but still
    Uncompromising extremist
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    it needs turning the right way, the head is not designed to be run that way. as for the stiff cable just pump some thin oil into the cable housing, it will make a big difference. bikeradar actually reviewed the ks950 post and put the post in the wrong way.
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... post-42748
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    pastey_boy wrote:
    it needs turning the right way, the head is not designed to be run that way

You know this because...
    Uncompromising extremist
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    The thing is that it isn't a KS post at all if and you'd know if you read what the OP said. :roll:
  • dan shard
    Right..just so you know, Im not a complete idiot. I put the post on backwards because the cable that operates it is obstructed when fitted in front and restricted the movement. I looked for google images of installed seat post, and every one had the cable fitted at the rear of the seat post not the front so I decided to fit it the other way round. When I did this the obstruction went away and the post operated perfectly.

As for not being designed to run that way...its a saddle joint with a bolt through it...not a shuttle.. Im pretty certain its not going to explode into a fire ball :roll:

ps @ thewaylander
    Had a go this morning on the way to work on some steap steps. When I dropped it, it was much lower than Id normally drop a post on a descent so I recon unless youre very tall it should be fine

oh and as per previous post its a DNM ASP R dropper not the one that it looks a bit like
  • DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    edited June 2011
    I wasn't saying it was a KS, just said it looks just like one. Was wondering whether it is the same part, just re-branded.

Enjoy it.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    dan shard wrote:
    ps @ thewaylander
    Had a go this morning on the way to work on some steap steps. When I dropped it, it was much lower than Id normally drop a post on a descent so I recon unless youre very tall it should be fine

I have just bought a gravity dropper post with 3" 'drop' - I originally didn't think this would be enough, but when I measured the difference between my 'normal' saddle height and my 'descent' saddle height it's actually less than 3" so this will be fine for me :D

I am 5ft 4" though - so if you're taller I imagine this might not be enough!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • pastey_boy
    Northwind wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

You know this because...
    common sense perhaps ?
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • dan shard
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

You know this because...
    common sense perhaps ?

It makes absolutely no difference at all being fitted backwards....other than now it works properly as the cable is unobstructed
  • Thewaylander
    Hmm interesting, Definately makes me think i'd settle for a 100mm or 4" post :)

Cos i've met you Notax your only tiny :p
  • dan shard
    4" is more than enough Id say. Im average height and 85mm was fine, in fact if it was much more Id have to restrict the movement as even with the post in all the way it would be too high to sit on.

If you look at the photo, the fixed post can only go down another 20mm ish before it would hit the maximum insert line.
  • pastey_boy
    dan shard wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:
    Northwind wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

You know this because...
    common sense perhaps ?

It makes absolutely no difference at all being fitted backwards....other than now it works properly as the cable is unobstructed
    i had one of the first ks900 posts and it had an issue with the one way bearing which was situated at the rear of the post, your post is obviously from the same factory so if its using the same system, the one way bearing will be at the front of the post which means it will be subject to different forces.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Linky to where you bought it from?
  • sniper68
    Yeah did a search and it drew a blank :roll:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    dan shard wrote:
    As for not being designed to run that way...its a saddle joint with a bolt through it...not a shuttle.. Im pretty certain its not going to explode into a fire ball :roll:
    It will make your cockpit more cramped though.
  • sniper68
    dan shard wrote:
    Ta!
    I've emailed them.
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    Is it polite to ask how heavy, and how much?
  • dan shard
    11st and every night..oh sorry I misunderstood.

Not sure on weight but I was surprised how light it was, in fact it wasnt noticably different to the fixed stem that I took out..possibly due to the fact that it was like 10ft long (not really).

Cost me £80 as it was pre-owned but never fitted.
  • dan shard
    dan shard wrote:
    It will make your cockpit more cramped though.

Yeah thats always a risk, I did check first though and it was fine. Otherwise Id have pushed the saddle back on the rails a bit
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    dan shard wrote:
    11st and every night..oh sorry I misunderstood.

No, no. Right the first time.

We thank you for your frankness.
  • dan shard
    :D
  • Funny how even the DNM website show a picture of it and what would be considered to be the 'correct' way of installing;

asp-r-1.png

Which to be fair is different to how my KS i950 would be. Seems like to get around the patent they've just turned the post head around.
    4 wheels bad
    2 wheels good
    1 wheel for fun