Isle of Man Over nighter

tim_wand
tim_wand Posts: 2,552
edited June 2011 in Tour & expedition
Regretfully I ve had to scale down my plan for me and a mate to do a four day Cumbria cycle way tour. The Mrs is going to take that with the Girls and that only gives me a 36 hour window as pay back.

The alternative is a quick blast around the Isle Of Man. My mate is Morecambe based so the idea is get the ferry across, Blast round the Island night in the Pub sail back next day.

Questions.

Any one know good boozer B+ B to stop at. Cycling distance to the Ferry.

Is there anything in the interior ( Mega climbs e.t.c) we should really not miss rather than doing the sad cliched circum navigation.

My only knowledge of the Isle Man is from Watching the TT . I take it that it isnt just 38 miles all round. Any one know a decent route taking in all the good bits of about 75 miles.

Any comment or experiences to share appreciated.

Cheers Tim

Comments

• tim_wand
    Strewth I need a geography lesson. Just been on Cycle Route . com and a circular route Douglas to Douglas puts the route at 90 miles and most of it looks lumpy. Still looks like a fair challenge.

Ferry gets in at 5.30 in the morning and leaves at 19.15 at night. any one done it recently? Its not exactly the Fred so should be Okay.
  • eltonioni
    eltonioni Posts: 82
    It's very lumpy and trust me, the IoM doesn't do clichés unless it's the one about going back in time to the 1950's. Top place but very weird. Drink Okells, eat queenies.

The Welbeck Hotel in Douglas is good and well priced and run by very nice people.

PS, try The Creek in Peel for your halfway round stop.
  • tim_wand
    Cheers Eltonioni, will check both those out and always glad to receive recomendations on local beer and grub. Sounds like an enjoyable place nothing wrong with the 50 s maybe I should get out the Hetchins and the period cycling gear and jus take it slow.