Home Insurance Claim

rjh299
rjh299 Posts: 721
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
I did the Flatout in the Fens sportive yesterday and afterwards went inside the HQ to get the meal on offer, when I came out my Garmin 705 had been stolen off my bike. Stupid of me to leave it out there I know (which is probably the most irritating thing!), but there were hundreds of bikes and lots of computers left. The bike directly in front of mine had a 705 on aswell, guess I was just unlucky.
Anyway, does anybody think I have a chance on claiming on my house insurance for it or was it negligence on my part, meaning they won't pay?
Thanks

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    The answer, of course, is that it depends - on the exact details of your policy, and also how willing to be nice your insurance company are.
    Mine (esure) paid out when my Boardman team carbon was stolen off my car, it wasn't locked but they paid out because I convinced them that I had only left the car for a couple of minutes, outside the house I was in (which was the truth). TBH they could have said no from a strict interpretation of the policy.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    read the small print in the policy, and if you don't spot any clauses that specifically exclude this kind of incident then phone them and ask.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much though.
  • Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    Then again, household insurance policies are normally pretty in covering funk ups - my wife smashed the good bike off the top of the car while trying to drive into an underground car park (BOOOOOOOOOOM went the Dura Ace. Double BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM went the crbonn forks, bars, stem, saddle, seat post, etc) and our insurance compny were brilliant - ok, they wanted a replacement quote, but no quibbles and the cheque came through in a couple of weeks.

Just double check how much a new unit will be as compared to the premium rise for the following year plus excess amount per claim: it may not actually be worth claiming for a new one .....
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Some insurance companies are great. We are with the AA, who have been dealing with a claim after I fell and broke my watch. Expensive item, but they arranged for me to send it into Watches of Switzerland and have it assessed and repaired. No fuss what so ever.

I would ring them and see what they say. They can only give you one of two answers.
  • rjh299
    Thanks for the replies. I'm not holding my breath on getting anything from them but would definitely be a bonus if I did. I'll ask them how much excess and premium increase the claim would incur if they would consider paying out.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    My grandaughter, Jessica, has another pair of grandparents the female of which came home at 3.00pm today to find the Fire Brigade attempting to smash her front door down :shock: The adjoining house was on fire! To cut a long storey short, the house is running with water from the hoses and the ground floor plus contents, ruined.

Be careful out there. You may not be able to control everything, make sure your Household Policy will 'hold water' if you need to claim.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • brin
    brin Posts: 1,122
    For claims under £500 most insurance companies will pay up, but as you mention there will probably be an excess to pay, and it could affect your premium next time, considering the price of the garmin £230? i would just put it down to bad luck and buy another.
    Must add i'm shocked that a 'fellow' cyclist should stoop so low,i thought on such occasions we were all in the same boat and a certain degree of trust was expected.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    "Must add i'm shocked that a 'fellow' cyclist should stoop so low,i thought on such occasions we were all in the same boat and a certain degree of trust was expected"

What a quaint, old-fashioned view. Sadly there are unscrupulous b@stards in all walks of life, and the current economic downturn isn't helping. I've just learned that you have to make it more difficult for them.

Whatever you do, don't go looking for it on Ebay / Gumtree. You'll probably spot it, and that'll really get your blood pressure up!
  • rjh299
    brin wrote:
    Must add i'm shocked that a 'fellow' cyclist should stoop so low,i thought on such occasions we were all in the same boat and a certain degree of trust was expected.

I did think the same, bit backwards down in Cornwall maybe, need to be a bit more synical maybe.

Already thought about ebay but that would tip me over the edge.
    For the unit and maps it's about £280.
  • chrisba
    chrisba Posts: 91
    "Must add i'm shocked that a 'fellow' cyclist should stoop so low,i thought on such occasions we were all in the same boat and a certain degree of trust was expected"

Very naive. Bikes are one of the most regularly stolen items of personal property. Everybody who rides a stolen bike is a cyclist. There are lots of cycling scumbags out there.