Cassette noise

Redhog14
Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Specialzed Stout rear hub on DT swiss rim, Shimano 9sp hyperglide cassette.

Very noise rear cassette when freewheeling, no noise or grind when power on, I have regreased the bearings, removed the cassette and cleaned the whole lot yet still sounds very dry and gritty. It is just worn out? around 2 yo and riding in all weathers.

Advice please, do I need a new hub or is it possible to remove and lube the cassette hub bit (dont know name for it but it is the splined bit that sticks out...)

Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Very noise rear cassette when freewheeling, no noise or grind when power on,
    not your cassette, it does not move.

some freebodies make more noise than others. maybe pop the body off/drip some lube in but if it works fine then I would not be concerned.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Redhog14
    Is the free body the splined part of the hub that you mount the cassette on? If so how do you remove it? I could not figure this out..
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Redhog14 wrote:
    Specialzed Stout rear hub on DT swiss rim, Shimano 9sp hyperglide cassette.

is it possible to remove and lube the cassette hub bit (dont know name for it but it is the splined bit that sticks out...)
    that is the free hub. It can be removed, not done it for a long time but with Shimano hubs and freehubs, the freehub is remvoed using a large allen key - could be 8 mm or maybe 10 mm. Pretty sure you neeed to remove the axle.

like I said, not done it for a long time but Nick will know.
  • Redhog14
    Ok so had another look at this tonight, seems you need a special tool to remove a Spesh Stout Freehub, only available at your local friendly dealer. Also needs 17mm cone spanner - got one of those? No me neither but do have two shifters... Anyway somehow managed to get soem lube into the thing so it is slightly quieter but still sounds like it is going to grind itself out soon.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,171
    Redhog14 wrote:
    seems you need a special tool to remove a Spesh Stout Freehub, only available at your local friendly dealer.

Also needs 17mm cone spanner - got one of those? .

yes I have, along with 13, 14 and 15 mm. :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Me too......Lidl tool kit is my friend!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.