Are cycle campaign groups too focused on Twenty Is Plenty?

Cressers
Cressers Posts: 1,329
edited June 2011 in Campaign
I ask because IMO, there are many more pressing issues, the state of the roads, the sheer volume of traffic, the farce that many cycle lanes are, that should be addressed rather than alienating the people that we want to get out of their cars and on bikes by a dogmatic insistance on blanket 20mph speed limits, no matter what the individual road conditions are.

It's the reason why I won't join my local group.

Comments

• Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Maybe it's pragmatism - reducing traffic levels or money going into bike lanes is perhaps not achievable - maybe they think a 20 limit which would very cheap is.

I think my local cycle campaign group is really more of an environmentalist lobby and when the interests of bikes conflict with something like bus lanes then they don't stand up for cyclists - but then like anything if you don't join the group you can't influence the policy.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Mike Healey
    Mike Healey Posts: 1,023
    [
    Cressers"]I ask because IMO, there are many more pressing issues, the state of the roads, the sheer volume of traffic, the farce that many cycle lanes are, that should be addressed rather than alienating the people that we want to get out of their cars and on bikes by a dogmatic insistance on blanket 20mph speed limits, no matter what the individual road conditions are.

Just how many groups are making this the main aim of their campaign? Do you have any figures about the proportion of campaign groups, nationally, doing this?

It's the reason why I won't join my local group.[/quote]

So, if you wish to campaign, how are you going to go about it? You could always join them and change their focus - assuming that you know, even tho' not a member, that they ignore all the other issues you mention
    Organising the Bradford Kids Saturday Bike Club at the Richard Dunn Sports Centre since 1998
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/
    http://www.facebook.com/groups/eastbradfordcyclingclub/