BB gone?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
i've had some squeaking and groaning coming from the bike which i assumed to be the bearings in the rear triangle needing changing...

however, last night i got the bike out of the shed and the cranks are really stiff too push around...could it be that it was the BB groaning and it's finally gone? :?

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
    quite possible. Take it out and have a look but symptoms sound like the BB
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Noises from any bearing can feed through the stays and frame and sound like they are coming from somewhere else, if the BB is shot, replace that first and see if it fixes the noise!

On my commuter any creak from the BB/Cranks sounds just like its coming from the headset!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Can you not ride slowly over some bumps with your feet off the pedals to eliminate the BB from the equation?
  • welshkev
    I didn't think of taking my feet off the pedals. But what's got me now is that the cranks are really stiff. I'm a total retard with anything mechanical, it's a 2010 slx double and bash, do I just take the crank arm off, pull it through and then use a tool to take the bb itself out?
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    To check the BB turn the cranks with out the chain on the rings, soon feel if its tight. If so its a pull the cranks off, unscrew teh bearings and pop a new one in, easy job.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    It's an easy job
    But with this in mind:
    welshkev wrote:
    I'm a total retard
    Be aware that the driveside BB screws in 'backwards', so turn it clockwise to loosen it.
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    yeh but if you buy the new one before removing the old one you can see the thread before you undo the cup :p
  • welshkev
    bails87 wrote:
    It's an easy job
    But with this in mind:
    welshkev wrote:
    I'm a total retard
    Be aware that the driveside BB screws in 'backwards', so turn it clockwise to loosen it.

cool, like pedals yeah? got it :D