Delivering a bike

Pigeons in flight
Pigeons in flight Posts: 282
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Hello

I recently sold a bike on ebay. The buyer is hoping for delivery by courier.

Does anyone have any tips for transportation - i.e. how to package the bike and preferred courier? This lot are local and I have previoulsy heard good reports. Does anyone have first hand experience of them?
http://www.paisleyfreight.com/index.php

Thanks
Never mistake motion for action
Tweet@gmunrop69
Trainerroad - GMan69

Comments

• Flamez
    Flamez Posts: 105
    Go to your local bike shop and blag anemptybike box. Remove forks turn handle bars, wrap with bubble wrap and het presto...
    Condor World Series 2012
    Boardman Team 2011
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Flamez wrote:
    Go to your local bike shop and blag anemptybike box. Remove forks turn handle bars, wrap with bubble wrap and het presto...

Surely you mean remove wheels? Much easier to take hte wheels off, slacken the bolts for the stem and turn it, much easier to re-assemble too.
  • Cheers for the replies. I'll try and get down my lbs later today.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Flamez wrote:

Surely you mean remove wheels? Much easier to take hte wheels off, slacken the bolts for the stem and turn it, much easier to re-assemble too.

I'd take off the handlebars and use a cable tie to support them rather than take the wheels off. I think the forks are better protected from crushing when the wheel is still in place. Take the wheel off and, relatively speaking, they are much more fragile.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Why take the handlebars off? just turn them 90 degrees...
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Garry H wrote:
    Why take the handlebars off? just turn them 90 degrees...

By taking them off you can tuck them down into the frame making the whole package a bit narrower.

If you just turn them then the bars and stem will stick out further from the frame.

Both bikes which I have bought mail order came with the bars off. So if the OP begs a delivry box from his LBS the chances are that the box will be sized for the bars off and not just turned.
  • Cheers Navrig...I haven't been able to beg one yet as the lbs closes Monday! Fore warned and all that though, if I find that it doesnt slot nicely into any box I manage to blag.
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69