new Commuting Bike choice

jackfeeder
jackfeeder Posts: 269
edited June 2011 in Commuting general
Hi,
I am looking for a new commuter bike which can tackle a mix of cycle paths, gravel trails and roads. The obvious choice would be a cyclocross bike, but I am slightly concerned about the puncture protection of cyclocross tyres as I ride throughout the year and don't want to make changing a tube harder than it might be in the dark with 700*32/35 (the max the better) tyres,.
I have looked at the Genesis Day 1 Alfine which ticks all my boxes apart from the potentially tricky rear wheel removal, which in the cold & dark I would want to avoid, especially with raceblades or full mudguards on.
At the moment I ride a Marin Nail Trail hardtail and am wondering would it be better to buy a better 26" wheelset for this, as one of the main issues I have at the moment is spokes breaking.
Ideally, I want to be able to use this bike for commuting, touring and winter training (indoor on a turbo & out.
Thanks for your help,
All my life I've wanted to be someone; I guess I should have been more specific.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If flats are such an issue then use Schwalbe Marathon Plus, most people who use them don't even carry a pump/levers/kit at all.....

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.