Broken Carbon

Soni
Soni Posts: 1,217
edited June 2011 in Workshop
OK Guys, was out on a 35 miler yesterday, no problem, today i go out, just finished climbing up a hill out of the saddle, just as i got to the top of the hill, sat down and crack! The seat went back, i slowed to a holt, and couldn't believe the seat post cracked!

What do you reckon caused it?

Do you reckon it will be covered under warranty? Bontrager have a x amount of years warranty don't they? Its a 2010 Trek 2.5....

IMG_3901.jpg
IMG_3908.jpg
IMG_3912.jpg
IMG_3902.jpg
IMG_3915.jpg

Comments

• kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    It looks like its got some pretty deep clamp marks in the surface , perhaps they might have acted like stress raisers and weakened it, i would replace it with a different brand in case its an inherent fault with this particular seatpost.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    looks like failure due to damage which will not be covered.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    + 2. I suspect they'd point to the scoring on the surface and suggest it's been damaged by something sharp on the inside of the seat-tube / clamp. Still shocking though!

I'm off to have a close look at my seatpost when I get home :shock:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Just goes to show you shouldn't use a carbon seatpost to unclog the drains! :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Combination of over-tightening and sharp-edge on the seatpost collar. No warranty claim I'm afraid.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Soni
    Emailed Trek with the pictures and they authorised Evans to replace under warranty.

Now have this one

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/rit ... RRWidgetID

No quibbles and no questions asked.

I will be buying from Evans again and sticking to the Trek brand, i've had several problems over the last two bikes i've owned but Trek have always honoured their warranty.
  • kettrinboy
    kettrinboy Posts: 613
    Should be a good choice,Ive got a couple of Ritchey WCS carbon seatposts on two of my bikes,had them for 4 yrs now, thousands of miles and no problems whatsoever with them.
  • mtb1975
    mtb1975 Posts: 33
    I had exactly the same happen to my Bontrager XXXLite seatpost, got home from a ride which involved a couple of 40mph descents :shock: and when I stepped forward off the saddle it came with me. I put it down to over tight clamping. I replaced it with an Easton EA50 Aluminium post.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I just bought that Pro seatpost when the fixing bracket on my factory fitted Felt post broke on me last week. Luckily it happened as I was changing saddles in the garage - the thread on the single bolt stripped. I was never happy with the fiddliness of it and the Ritchey offering is nice and easy to set up.

Comes in ridiculous packaging like all things nowadays though! :D
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Brilliant result; well done!
  • Soni
    Ben6899 wrote:
    Comes in ridiculous packaging like all things nowadays though! :D

Yeah tell me about it, i thought he had ordered down a telescope judging by the size of the box!