Changing cassette ratio - is it this simple?

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited June 2011 in Workshop
It can't be.

I currently run a bog standard 12-25 rear with 39-53, Campag Veloce.
I've had this for 6 years and moaned like a drain on every single hill, since.

This weekend I've knackered the locking ring of my cassette and in looking for a replacement I noticed Veloce have a rear cassette that is 13-29.

Can I replace the 12-25 to 13-29 without screwing everything up?

Comments

• You may need to lengthen the chain by a few links, although if you never use the big ring and big sprocket together you can get away without it.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
    Chain length is definitely something to check.

The other catch apart from the chain length is whether you can get away with the derailleur cage length. Officially from Campag you have to switch to a medium cage one, instead of the standard short cage, to use the 29.

However, plenty of folks on here seem to run the 13-29 without switching derailleurs. Worth trying perhaps.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • I use the 13-29 cassette with the standard rear mech and the compact Veloce chainset, and it works perfectly, although the mech is close to the limit of what it can handle. The range of ratios given by the 13-29 will certainly make a difference for you on the climbs, the combination with the compact chainset works a treat with all the hills down here in S Wales.
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • tenor
    tenor Posts: 278
    You might need an additional link, but as you will replace the chain along with the cassette that's no problem. You should have no problem with the short are mech, but best to avoid the big-big combination.
    I switch between both cassettes with a compact chainset can see no problem for you.