creaking handle bars

lucasf09
lucasf09 Posts: 160
edited June 2011 in Workshop
Hi,
I also posted this in road buying advice
I have a quill system for my handlebars on my bike which I bought just under a year ago, at first it was all fine.
But lately my handlebars creak a lot. At first it was only when I powered up a hill, but now even riding over rough roads with my hands resting on the bars is making it creak and squeak.
I am worrying too much are am I going to end up with my hands on the bars but the cars no longer attached to the bike :s???
If I should replace them, does anyone know any decent brands and places to buy then from (I know the usual suspects, but quill stems and handlebars are quite old, so are found few and far between I find).
Thanks
Lucas

Comments

• k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The first thing I would do is take your bars and stem out and give them a good clean and grease - grease the quill and the bolt and then do them up properly.

Loosen the bars in the stem and clean all the contact areas and then grease the bolts and tighten them up again.

That will do the job most of the time.

If you need a new stem I had a really nice Salsa chromoly one a few years ago - had a removeable face place like a more modern one but a quill attachment. That means you can run any modern bar with them too.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.