Whats great about bikeing?

spidan
spidan Posts: 59
edited July 2011 in MTB general
Just had my first ride in around 8 months (due to injury and being a touch lazy) and wow it was great to be back out.
Did roughly 25 miles around Grimsby, cleethorpes and the wolds very slowly lol. Most was on roads.
Anyway, being out today reminded me about what I love about being on the bike.
It's not about the latest shiny bits or breaking speed records and times. For me it's about clearing my head of all the crap that builds up through everyday living and stopping to enjoy the scenery.
So happy ride, very tired and a little sunburnt but have a big smile on my face :D

Cheers Danny
Giant XTC3.5 Maxis tyres, Shimano deore cranks, superstar bits and bobs

Comments

• SUPERSUTT
    SUPERSUTT Posts: 292
    i know the feeling i went back to Llandegla for the first time in ages and cant belive how much its changed . the black runs are excelant now but took me what seemed like a life time to get around i kept stopping to check out the scenery and stuff. i cant wait to go back again very soon . theres not much in Chester bike route wise except the cycle track or along the river Dee but its great to get out and just ride
    falling off doesn't hurt....its the landing that hurts

FS Giant Trance X3 (2013)
    FS Specialized Camber 2011 (2011)=(stolen)
    HT Merlin Malt one (sold)
  • Rich Hcp
    Rich Hcp Posts: 1,355
    Fitness, fun and fresh air!

But I agree, the best thing is clearing you head.

Even on days when time is short & you're tired after a long day, a quick blast on a bike, even 40 minutes, dies wonders for head, it's brilliant
    Richard

Giving it Large
  • lofty102
    lofty102 Posts: 138
    For me the best thing is going out riding all day, then sitting in the local cafe at the end dirty, probably wet, aching and knackered but knowing given the chance you'd do it all again the next day!!
    2010 Mondraker Factor RR
    2014 canyon ultimate cf 9.0 sl
    2016 Planet x pro carbon
    2017 Scott Spark 730
  • Twisterboy
    Twisterboy Posts: 311
    Totally agree with you there mate, It's great to clear your head, I went on a 19 mile ride yesterday and forgot all about work and all the other nonsense thats been in my life recently and just took in the scenary all around me that I had never seen before on the outskirts of Edinburgh.

David
  • mtb crazy
    mtb crazy Posts: 245
    i love the fact that its really fun and challenging. only been riding for a couple of months and love it loads!!
  • timpop
    timpop Posts: 394
    All of the above but mostly because it's fun. I love being outside and in the beautiful places riding takes me. I really love the feeling of riding and the movement of the bike around the trails. The angles, the speed, the changes in terrain. It's all good man.
    Glad you're really enjoying it.
    Many happy trails!
  • just the general challenge and physical achievements,

its wicked just to get out in the middle of nowhere and see things that you never knew were there. and geting away from the rat race and all the shit that comes with everyday life :D

not so good - - counting the new scratches to me and the bike lol
    Cube Acid 2011
  • Fenred
    Fenred Posts: 428
    timpop wrote:
    All of the above but mostly because it's fun. I love being outside and in the beautiful places riding takes me. I really love the feeling of riding and the movement of the bike around the trails. The angles, the speed, the changes in terrain. It's all good man.
    Glad you're really enjoying it.

Pretty much this...Just being on a bike. Not bothered about scenery/fresh air, the fitness thing is a bonus but TBH I'd ride bikes if it was detremental to health...It's all about sitting on a bike and turning wheels... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    spidan wrote:
    For me it's about clearing my head of all the crap that builds up through everyday living and stopping to enjoy the scenery.
    I know where you're coming from.

Mountain biking seems to be my base existence. Everything else I do is done either in preparation for, in order to be able to, so I can afford to, or so that I have the time to, go riding.
    It is where I am home. It is where I find peace. But I have to do all these other boring day to day things to allow myself to continue riding.
  • mattrgee
    mattrgee Posts: 157
    spidan wrote:
    For me it's about clearing my head of all the crap that builds up through everyday living and stopping to enjoy the scenery.
    I know where you're coming from.

Mountain biking seems to be my base existence. Everything else I do is done either in preparation for, in order to be able to, so I can afford to, or so that I have the time to, go riding.
    It is where I am home. It is where I find peace. But I have to do all these other boring day to day things to allow myself to continue riding.

I hear you. We do a lot of camping/mountain biking and everything else is just an inconvenience.
  • Its go to be about just getting outside with your mates. Long rides = good times.
    I've started to extend my rides with over night camps.

http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk[/url]
    http://www.bikeandbivi.co.uk - Bikepacking
    http://www.unsponsored.co.uk - Independent UK Kayak site
  • Ryan Jones
    Ryan Jones Posts: 775
    I ride my bikes because they're fun, it's great to get out with your mates and have a bit of friendly competition see who can conquer the tough climbs (Llandegla's boom !) or the toughest descents and it's healthy, better than spending it all on nights out and you can go back to work the next week and annoy the non-riding folk with your tales from the trails !
  • wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    It gives old blokes a chance to go outside and play. Like being 8 years old, all over again.