Home CCTV systems

MattC59
MattC59 Posts: 5,408
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
Right, so here's the problem.

I'm sure you'll agree, there are few things worse than hitting dog sh*t with your lawn mower, especially when it's 27C outside !! There are also few things worse than seeing a grown man bent over, wretching on his front lawn because he's just hit dog sh*t with his lawn mower.

At risk of bringing up a previous topic (it's not the dog's fault), an inconsiderate neighbour of mine is happy to let their dog sh*t on my lawn then leave me to clear it, or run over it with the mower. So, I want a low cost cctv system, so that I can identify the owner, follow him home with the offending turd, and deposit it on his doorstep.

I seem to remember seeing a low cost system, which has limited recording time (about 4 hours) and uses a PIR to activate and stop the recording as necessary. You can then review recordings and reset as necessary.

I can't find the system I have in mind, so I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge of this sort of thing, or could point me in the right direction.

Obviously, land mines would be my preferred solution, but it would ruin my lawn, and I don't want to provoke Diana's ghost.

Cheers............. M
Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved

Comments

• Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Try B&Q there were a few options on sale when I used to work there.

A cheap solution in the mean time would be to put down some pepper powder round the outside of your lawn - buy a good one from a pet store and it shouldn't effect your lawn / plants but when a dog or cat comes across it they can't stand it and should avoid. After a few sneezy trips past your house the dog will soon learn to associate your lawn with pepper powder and will avoid.

To be honest it should be the owner being punished for not controlling / cleaning up after his dog - but there's more laws against you punishing him!
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    What's the quality of low cost systems these days? You need to be able to recognise them, never ceases to amaze me how often the local paper has pictures trying to ID a shoplifter and the image is so poor their own mother wouldn't be able to recognise them!
  • AndyRubio
    AndyRubio Posts: 880
    If it was me, I'd sit by the window with a rifle, watching and waiting.

EDIT: for the neighbour, not the dog.
  • MattC59
    AndyRubio wrote:
    If it was me, I'd sit by the window with a rifle, watching and waiting.

EDIT: for the neighbour, not the dog.
    Unfortunately, I don't have the time for that. It would be my first option, as I'd love to catch the owner / dog in the act !!!
  • MattC59
    What's the quality of low cost systems these days? You need to be able to recognise them, never ceases to amaze me how often the local paper has pictures trying to ID a shoplifter and the image is so poor their own mother wouldn't be able to recognise them!
    You can get pretty good quality for not a lot of money these days, but most systems seem to go for the best quality, and obviously, there's an associated cost.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Could you use a webcam hooked up to the PC?
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Seems long winded and costly for such a problem.These people/dogs are usually creatures of habit. I'd narrow down whether it appears early morning/late night and then get up early go to bed late and confront them face to face. Are you sure it's neighbour? Cats like to crap in the same place as do foxes.

As you read most of my posts, you will be aware that I am an expert in shite. :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • MattC59
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Seems long winded and costly for such a problem.These people/dogs are usually creatures of habit. I'd narrow down whether it appears early morning/late night and then get up early go to bed late and confront them face to face. Are you sure it's neighbour? Cats like to crap in the same place as do foxes.

As you read most of my posts, you will be aware that I am an expert in shite. :lol:
    oh yes, it's definitely a dog !! There was the the unmistakable stench as the lawnmower hit it !!!!
    I think you're right, I need to camp out and catch the bugger red handed. Fortunately, I work from home and my study over looks the front lawn, so a couple of hours of surveylence early in the day should do it.
  • I used to work for a CCTV firm.

The best thing to do is get a local firm to come and install one - It can be of reasonable cost if you only want 4 cameras or less.

Then stick a couple of signs up informing would-be criminals they are under surveillance. (Data protection act - if you want the evidence to be legit in court then you need to inform them they are having their face used as evidence)

What seperates the B&Q stuff from the professional equipment is the robust build-quality and the operation of the DVR (digital video recorder). If you get cheap stuff it will be vandalised easily. Often it's the signs and the view of cameras that make the difference. You could even try just dummy cameras?

I think it's estimated that the installation of cameras will drop the crime in a spot by about 80-90%.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • MattC59
    I saw a fantastic system at the gadget show last year.
    It was PIR activated, recorded onto an SD card, and was stand alone. The image quality was good, certainly good enough to ID a person, and it was about £60. I took the details, but unfortunately, have lost them.

The idea being that you check the unit daily (flashing LED if it's recorded something) and reset it for the next day. Ideal !!
  • Sounds good. Just consider how the camera (whatever you buy) will be against the weather and someone with a projectile. It needs to be pretty high up to avoid easy baseball bat attacks. Then consider how well concealed a DVR would be in the house and how protected the wiring would be to it.

The standalone cameras sound ok, you would need to examine the praticality of the power supply and how often you would need to look at the SD card.

Also how the camera fairs with low light.

I would definitelt make it explicit that you have CCTV monitoring your property - It can make a big difference.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    He's only wanting to catch a dog taking a crap on his lawn FFS.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    Here is my idea.

Rig an air cannon up. Get a motion sensor, with tracking. Shoot poo at anything that comes on your lawn, but get it to only recognize faces.

Or failing that, ask some of your neighbors if they have noticed. They may be able to let you know who it has been without even needing to buy something.
  • ste_
    ste_ Posts: 124
    Get a hedge / fence / gate.
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Way to go is old skool here a bit off effort watching out and also seeing who has which dog as you are out n about will work wonders.
    Be aware though even if you do id the owner the likely response will be `bothered`! if you speak with them, as the fact they are letting it `deposit` on others gardens says it all.
    Either that or they just open the door and it pootles accross to you as they can`t be bothered to walk it.

I f you spend out to get cctv make sure one camera is lowish to get a decent image of the owners face....high camera`s whilst giving an ace overview are of no value to id an offender which in reality is only 100% by a face image.

Wait for the neighbour dispute ....long nasty and costly...beware ! :evil: :evil:
  • da goose
    da goose Posts: 284
    Way to go is old skool here a bit off effort watching out and also seeing who has which dog as you are out n about will work wonders.
    Be aware though even if you do id the owner the likely response will be `bothered`! if you speak with them, as the fact they are letting it `deposit` on others gardens says it all.
    Either that or they just open the door and it pootles accross to you as they can`t be bothered to walk it.

I f you spend out to get cctv make sure one camera is lowish to get a decent image of the owners face....high camera`s whilst giving an ace overview are of no value to id an offender which in reality is only 100% by a face image.

Wait for the neighbour dispute ....long nasty and costly...beware ! :evil: :evil:
  • Aggieboy
    edited June 2011
    This is a 'sh1t' thread.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Just keep an eye out for him, then when you know who it is, pop it through their letterbox, with a note simply stating "You forgot this"

I can assure you 100% they will get the message.
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    da goose wrote:

Where does a neighbour dispute come in here? It would be a case of getting evidence, speaking with the offender and if it continues passing evidence on to the police to issue a hefty fine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Mine your lawn.

It's the only solution.
  • verylonglegs
    verylonglegs Posts: 4,023
    Keith1983 wrote:
    da goose wrote:

Where does a neighbour dispute come in here? It would be a case of getting evidence, speaking with the offender and if it continues passing evidence on to the police to issue a hefty fine.

I can't help but feel you are being a little naive. Some folk don't like having the errors of their ways pointed out to them even when they are clearly in the wrong and feel the need to agitate things even more. Sad but true.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    It could be worse Matt, it could be me sh*tting on your law.

Then you would have a problem.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD
    Something I'd rather not think about :shock:
  • MattC59
    Mine your lawn.

It's the only solution.
    It was my first choice of action, but my lawn's looking pretty good, and I don't think the neighbours would appreciate it looking like the Somme :D
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy wrote:
    This is a 'sh1t' thread.

And it's getting sh1ttier by the second..........
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

PS.That would make a change from the glass tables you usually do it on.
  • MattC59
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Aggieboy wrote:
    This is a 'sh1t' thread.

And it's getting sh1ttier by the second..........
    DIESELDOG wrote:

Love n hugs

DD

PS.That would make a change from the glass tables you usually do it on.
    NASTY !!! You obviously have some knowledge of this ? Can I borrow some dvds ? :lol:

To be honest, I'm suprised DD wasn't able to offer more advice on choice of camera :D