Really really tight fisted, tyre question.

PostieJohn
PostieJohn Posts: 1,105
edited June 2011 in Workshop
and I'm not even from Yorkshire! :lol:

I've put some old ProR3's on an old bike, forgetting there was a 3mm circular hole in one of said tyres.
This naturally has caused the inner to pop through.

If I promise not to ride it hard and fast, can I stick a puncture repair patch over the hole (on the inside), as a temporary measure. Until I buy something which is more suited to winter riding. (when hopefully I might have to cash)

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    No.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • PhilofCas
    PhilofCas Posts: 1,153
    use a small piece of old tyre instead, job done! (and it's not being tight fisted at all :) )
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Or a strip of toothpaste tube wrapped round the tube a couple of times.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    DesWeller wrote:
    Or a strip of toothpaste tube wrapped round the tube a couple of times.

Sections of innertube or puncture pads wont work for long, sometimes not for long at all. Something like a piece of toothpaste tube sounds perfect.
    I've used emery tape, gritty side to the tyre before, that works well, but goes eventually.
    Ive found you just need a piece to line the inside of the tyre, sidewalls included.
    What you'll probably get with something like toothpaste tube is a slight 'thump thump thump' as the wheel goes round, but it doesnt really effect anything, you can just feel it.
    Currently mines running with a section of teflon weave sheet in to stop a similar hole. It can extend the life of an otherwise dead tyre for ages.

Nowt wrong with tightfistedness :D
  • ratsbeyfus
    ratsbeyfus Posts: 2,841
    I've got a section of inner tube double wrapped in gaffer tape taped to the inside of my front pro race 3. It's worked fine for about a 1000 miles.

I had one of them red bikes but I don't any more. Sad face.

@ratsbey
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    old section of tyre sanded down to remove excess rubber (doesn't take long with a bench grinder) super glued in place under 8mm slit = high pressure bulge free riding.