Carbon frame + Hamax child seat

kenan
kenan Posts: 952
edited June 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Been looking for a child seat for my bike and have decided on a Hamax rear seat like this one: http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop ... at_127.htm

Do you think it will ok to mount it onto my carbon 456 frame? Just wanted to chek it would be ok on the carbon frame (would use heli tape under the bracket)

Comments

• dbmnk
    dbmnk Posts: 217
    If you're worried, check out Loct child seat
    http://www.loct.co.uk/

My daughter absolutely loves to sit there, and if you plan on going offroad, this is the only correct position of a child
  • kenan
    I like the look of those, but at 18 months old she is not there yet.

Looked at the WeeRide in a lbs but they are very small, hence ending up looking at the Hamax.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    no way on earth that would fit a carbon 456
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • davewalsh
    davewalsh Posts: 587
    pastey_boy wrote:

Any particular reason you say that ? I have that exact seat and I think it would fit. However, I personally wouldn't use that type of seat on a carbon frame as you're loading the seat tube in a way that it isn't designed to be loaded.

I'd seek advice from On-One, they should know better than anyone if the seat tube will cope with the load.
  • pastey_boy
    pastey_boy Posts: 2,083
    davewalsh wrote:
    pastey_boy wrote:

Any particular reason you say that ? I have that exact seat and I think it would fit. However, I personally wouldn't use that type of seat on a carbon frame as you're loading the seat tube in a way that it isn't designed to be loaded.

I'd seek advice from On-One, they should know better than anyone if the seat tube will cope with the load.
    you have just answered your own question.
    Viner Salviati
    Shark Aero Pro
    Px Ti Custom
    Cougar 531
    Sab single speed
    Argon 18 E-112 TT
    One-one Ti 456 Evo
    Ridley Cheetah TT
    Orange Clockwork 2007 ltd ed
    Yeti ASR 5
    Cove Hummer XC Ti
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kenan
    no way in hell. I have seen what they can do to a steel frame. and ally frames.

Bracket-explanation.png

either something that attaches to the seat post or a different bike.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • kenan
    I thought it would be a no no, poor bike is just hanging in my garage colleting dust.

Jurns out a mate has a WeeRide which I am going to borrow this week and see if its as small as I fear.

If that fails then I'll have to get my 18 year old GT back on the road for a bit of old school cool 8)

thanks for the advice guys
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    kenan wrote:
    I'll have to get my 18 year old GT back on the road for a bit of old school cool 8)

yep thats the way to do it.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown