Cheap alternatives to Dura Ace chainring?

scant
scant Posts: 6
edited June 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi All
can anyone recommend any cheaper replacement 53T chainrings to fit dura ace 7800 crankset please? original replacements seem to sell for more than I paid for the entire crankset... but I'd like to keep the slick shifting..

links to suitable chainrings appreciated :)

Comments

• domhopson
    domhopson Posts: 259
    scant wrote:
    Hi All
    can anyone recommend any cheaper replacement 53T chainrings to fit dura ace 7800 crankset please? original replacements seem to sell for more than I paid for the entire crankset... but I'd like to keep the slick shifting..

links to suitable chainrings appreciated :)

I had to change my 39T one the other week. I had a good look around the web and read a few articles. The Ultegra 6600 was half the price of the DA but went for the DA in the end just so it matched.

Stronglight chainrings have been recommended as being good for the money previously on these forums.

Hope that helps
  • Wouldn't it have been cheaper to buy 2 new sets of 105 chain rings?? they would match :)
  • nmcgann
    nmcgann Posts: 1,780
    TA Hegoa chainrings are really good (http://www.poshbikes.com/product.php?id=160). Cheaper than the DA rings, but very good quality.
    --
    "Because the cycling is pain. The cycling is soul crushing pain."
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    TA or Stronglight 7xxx series Alu are all really good. I wouldn't get you 39 in the cheaper one if you're rather strong. The Dural (3xxx series alu) is softer. If you live somewhere flat and are always in the big ring then don't sweat it.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Also try ebay and cycling forum classifieds. Occasionally you can find people selling off unused 7800 chainrings for a good price.