mountain bike to road bike

Daddy2Coull
Daddy2Coull Posts: 58
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
i've just taken up cycling again after many years off.

i've ordered a spangly new trek 2.3 but until it arrives (through cyclescheme) i'm using my old gary fisher mountain bile. wonder if anyone can help with this one.

i currently run 26" wheels and my gear ratio in 44/11 on my 15mile commute i am averaging 15mph if i maintain my current rpm and switch to 700c wheels and a ratio of 52/11 how much will this affect my average speed?
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid......

95kg to 87kg and dropping......

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
Trek - 2.3

Comments

• e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    Your ave speed will rise to 18.4 mph but thats a prety slow rpm
  • thanks for that, i'm new to all this and curious to know what differences i will see on a road bike

happy days

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • fludey
    fludey Posts: 384
    One thing you will notice, as I still ride both, is how much easier it is to go at a faster pace for longer compared to a mtb. Lot less rolling resistance generally so rolls along faster :D
    Felt AR4
    Planet X Pro Carbon 105
    MTB Kona Kikapu Deluxe with a few upgrades!!
  • i fitted 1.5" slicks a few weeks ago and noticed a good difference, so i'm really looking forward to getting on a road bike again :)

Gary Fisher - Tassajara
    Trek - 2.3
  • cyco2
    cyco2 Posts: 593
    I did a rough calculation and with the new gearing you speak of you should increase you average speed by about 4mph. So, instead of an average of 15mph you should do about 19mph. I think your idea is brilliant and I have been thinking of doing it myself for years. I keep shelling out on faster bikes but your way could be significantly cheaper. My TT bike has a 58 ring on it which enabled me to do a 29mph '25' once so if you put that on your ATB you should be able to do about 21mph average. Its so easy, wonderful idea. :lol:
    ...................................................................................................

If you want to be a strong rider you have to do strong things.
    However if you train like a cart horse you'll race like one.