Pet Insurance

Tusher
Tusher Posts: 2,762
edited June 2011 in The bottom bracket
My dreams of finally seeing the Tour (and maybe even Cav) in person are now destroyed.
I'll be staying at home nursing a sick cat back to full health.

But all I wanted to say was...........pet insurance really is worth it. I almost cancelled it a few years ago, because I thought that cats only tended to need expensive treatment when they were kittens (and met motor cars) or in the final months, but our 9 year old boy has just had a major operation (gal bladder removed and other stuff that would put you off your tea) but it looks like he'll make it, having had a paw in death's door. He came home with a feeding tube initially and........I could go on, but I'll not. I had no idea how far veterinary science had progressed.

The bill is approaching £6K, and the insurance should pay out for my cancelled holiday.

Comments

• Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Glad to hear your kitty is recovering. I am a strong believer in insuring pets, as unless one is in a financial position where a £4k+ pet bill wouldn't be an issue, it is unfair to keep that animal without it.
  • MountainMonster
    MountainMonster Posts: 7,423
    My wife and I were having a similar talk to this one just yesterday. As avid cat and dog people we often end with extremely high bills if/when we have to go to the vet.

Although, the cats often don't get sick or need anything major. Alot of variables can decide whether the surgery or soemthing would be worth following through with, or if maybe putting the animal to sleep is not a more viable option. All depends on the situation. We don't have a good offering of pet insurance that doesn't cause the human to donate a leg to fund it here in Austria, so we have to be careful. Our cats don't go out though, since we live in a flat. Fatness is the only problem we have to worry about.
  • Squillinossett
    Squillinossett Posts: 1,678
    Whats the cost in Aus?

We have 1 little Lhasa Apso, and he is only £28 to insure per month for the best insurance I could find. Some places do quote silly prices for pretty much the same insurance.

Only down side is Mrs Squill is wanting another, so would make it close to £60 for insurace a month....(More than the house insurance!!!)

Still, wouldnt go without it.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    The way that vets will charge just to say hello to your pet, I can highly recommend pet insurance. As an example, my cat lost a lot of weight last year, so I took him to to vet, was in there all of 10mins, and got charged £75 to be told, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with him, have you changed his food ?!?! OK, so I didn't claim here, but he broke his leg several years ago (I say broke, the vet thinks he was kicked) and the bill came in to the tune of a couple of thousand ££££. Pet insurance covered the lot.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Tusher wrote:
    My dreams of finally seeing the Tour (and maybe even Cav) in person are now destroyed.
    I'll be staying at home nursing a sick cat back to full health.

But all I wanted to say was...........pet insurance really is worth it. I almost cancelled it a few years ago, because I thought that cats only tended to need expensive treatment when they were kittens (and met motor cars) or in the final months, but our 9 year old boy has just had a major operation (gal bladder removed and other stuff that would put you off your tea) but it looks like he'll make it, having had a paw in death's door. He came home with a feeding tube initially and........I could go on, but I'll not. I had no idea how far veterinary science had progressed.

The bill is approaching £6K, and the insurance should pay out for my cancelled holiday.

Oh my god, have him put down and go see the Tour!
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.