Double or compact

Chefshaw
Chefshaw Posts: 57
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
im off to the alpes to climb some mountains next month. im a relatively strong climber here in the uk.
at 5 foot 10 and 70kgs, i currently ride a double, and climb everything local to manchester ie snakes pass, goyt valley relatively easily.
would i survive in the alpes on a 39-23 set up as my lowest gear, or should i change my rear cassette to a 11-25/28, or should i go the whole hog and move to a compact?

plese help
Trek Madone 4.5 2010
Kona Lava Dome 1997

Comments

• oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    This has been done to death in other posts but for your case I would go for 27 or 28 rear if using 39, not sure why you need a 11 I would go for a 12 or even 13 to give better spacing for climbing.
    I did pinarello fondo twice using a 39 x 27 and that has steeper hills than Alpes but for Marmotte I used compact with a 23 on the back.
    It is not the gradient of the Alpes that makes lower gears better but their length.
    I get by in UK with a 23 rear also.
  • Chefshaw
    This has been done to death in other posts but for your case I would go for 27 or 28 rear if using 39, not sure why you need a 11 I would go for a 12 or even 13 to give better spacing for climbing.
    I did pinarello fondo twice using a 39 x 27 and that has steeper hills than Alpes but for Marmotte I used compact with a 23 on the back.
    It is not the gradient of the Alpes that makes lower gears better but their length.

thank you old welshman, just what i was after, sorry i brought it uo again and didnt gig through the archives
    Trek Madone 4.5 2010
    Kona Lava Dome 1997
  • Chefshaw

would u work on the smae set up for ventoux?
    Trek Madone 4.5 2010
    Kona Lava Dome 1997
  • Ezy Rider
    Ezy Rider Posts: 415
    i have enough bother climbing out of bed, but i ditched my 39/ 53 double for a compact 34/50 compact its been just great. have no regrets about the change and my granny gear is 34/25, I too dont see the need for an 11 rear cog.
  • oldwelshman
    oldwelshman Posts: 4,733
    Chefshaw wrote:

would u work on the smae set up for ventoux?
    Not sure why you asked me that question as the OP said he was climbing in the Alpes not ventoux, but as you asked yes I would and I would have no problem with it as I chose those gears so I would have a couple left :D
    By the way, sure you know this, but 34 x 23 is almost same as 39 x 27 but you get closer ratios if you use compact with a 12 to 23 but if the op wanted he could always stil a 13 to 27 with compact for even lower gears, any lower than this and you may as well get off and walk at the speed you will be doing :lol: