Breaking Spokes

kitebeast
kitebeast Posts: 9
edited June 2011 in Road beginners
Hi guys, I have been riding for a while now and have done about 3000 miles on my new bike, but recently I have started breaking spokes on the rear wheel, I have a Cube GTC Race with Easton wheels, I am a fairly light rider 72kg and tend to have a high cadence 90-100, I am rather careful on the road avoiding potholes. The last spoke broke as I was cornering and I did not hit anything on the turn, if any one can help it would be great.

Thanks
Brendon

Comments

• 2Smart
    2Smart Posts: 105
    It is time to get a wheelbuilder to take a look. Probably will need re-spoking and then it will be as good as new. Once you start breaking spokes other spokes get strained in the process and it just weakens the wheel leading to more spokes breaking. I am 92kg and haven't broken a spoke for about 7 years and have all sorts of standard and fancy wheels.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    3000 miles on the same wheels? could just be a case of fatigue on the spokes over time.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Are the spokes all breaking on the same side? (drive?) In which case I'd just the spokes replaced on the one side and then have the wheel retensioned. A decent wheelbuilder will also check to ensure there's not some inherent problem with the build or hub that's causing the breakages.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Ollieda wrote:
    3000 miles on the same wheels? could just be a case of fatigue on the spokes over time.

It's a new bike.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Flambes
    Flambes Posts: 191
    Is it the spokes or the nipples? I've had recurring problems with my alloys nipples breaking at the head on the drive side of my Easton EA90 Aeros.
    Had it rebuilt at the UK distributor (Extra), but unfortunatley not with brass nipples. So one broke again. And then I got them out of winter storage and 50% of the spokes were loose. Great :roll: So now have Shimano RS80s, but will rebuild the rear wheel myself, with brass nipples when I have the time.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    Rolf F wrote:
    Ollieda wrote:

It's a new bike.

A new bike thats done over 3000 miles
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Ollieda wrote:
    That is less than 3 months riding. I have wheels with spokes that have done well over 10000 miles and had several rims on them. My MTB wheels have had 2 sets of rims and 2 sets of hubs with the same spokes. Not broken one yet. If they are built right they don't brake.
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    @John, I'm guessing the T's for Trigger???? :lol:
  • kitebeast
    kitebeast Posts: 9
    Thanks for the replies, I guess I am going to have to find a wheelbuilder in my area.
    @Monty Dog, The spokes have all been breaking on the drive side, but as mentioned the other spokes would have taken some strain so I will get the lot replaced and the wheel checked over.
    Thanks again and have a good weekend.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you get the drive side spokes replaced, get them to fit new brass nipples too. Spoke breakage is generally down to a poorly built wheel - once they get out of tension, spokes get over-loaded and they start breaking. I'm surprised that it's an Easton wheel as they are better than most for build quality.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..