Trickiest roundabouts you know

2»

Comments

• optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Waddlie wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:

5-roundabouts-in-a-roundabout is for amateurs. 6-roundabouts-in-a-roundabout is where it's at.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Plough at Hemel Hempstead.

magic_roundabout.jpg

+1 on that, cycled round it in all directions more than once (sometimes several times while trying to find my way off it :) )
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • Chrissz
    Chrissz Posts: 727
    tri-sexual wrote:
    arc de triomphe

+1 - Just come back from Paris - did three laps of the Arc and lost my bottle! Talk about having to look all round though :shock:
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Wandsworth one-way is one of the few London road systems that makes me nervous. I think it's the combination of fast traffic and needing to change lanes into cars going much faster and just a feeling that it will go wrong because of the slight feeling of chaos around there.

Wellingston arch is nasty from the Victoria side. Being stopped at a red light on a hill with a system that works on the corkscrew principle so you need to clip in, go uphill and change lanes when the biffs behind don't realise that is how this roundabout works.
  • I do Whipps Cross, Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush every day. Whipps Cross is the worst, the other two are tame since they are light controlled.
  • MarcBC
    MarcBC Posts: 333
    Levi_501 wrote:
    Elephant and Castle 8)

I don't know if it is the most tricky but in my cycling commuting days it certainly was the reported as being the cause of more cycle deaths / accidents than any other in Greater London. :shock:
  • phy2sll2
    phy2sll2 Posts: 680
    I know a few people will be familiar with this one! It should be easy but everyone behaves very badly on it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Loampit+Vale%2FA20&daddr=Lee+High+Rd&hl=en&sll=51.464308,-0.011855&sspn=0.007954,0.022724&geocode=FRFMEQMdVLr__w%3BFW1CEQMdcdj__w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=16&z=16

Particularly the buses, though that isn't usually the problem around here.
  • noodles71
    noodles71 Posts: 153
    I find the ninja pedestrians a lot harder to deal with here. Especially the ones who run towards or away from the Police Station to the other side of the road. They generally wait until you are building your speed up again and squeezing down a narrow gap when out they run from between two buses.

phy2sll2 wrote:
    I know a few people will be familiar with this one! It should be easy but everyone behaves very badly on it:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=Loampit+Vale%2FA20&daddr=Lee+High+Rd&hl=en&sll=51.464308,-0.011855&sspn=0.007954,0.022724&geocode=FRFMEQMdVLr__w%3BFW1CEQMdcdj__w&mra=me&mrsp=1,0&sz=16&z=16

Particularly the buses, though that isn't usually the problem around here.
  • bearfraser
    bearfraser Posts: 435
    Magic Roundabout must have it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (WTF!!) :lol:
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Ardwick Green A6 Manchester, next to the Apollo theatre. Just shut your eyes and hope for the best, type of RB.

Oh yes, Ardwick !

Portwood RB in Stockport - add in dual carriageways and a motorway junctions 3/4 lane RB. Requires negotiating at full sprint.

George Pub RB in Stockport - traffic coming off M-way near Decathlon - doesn't stop - I got splattered on there 2.5 years ago.
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    fossyant wrote:
    Tonymufc wrote:
    Ardwick Green A6 Manchester, next to the Apollo theatre. Just shut your eyes and hope for the best, type of RB.

Oh yes, Ardwick !

Portwood RB in Stockport - add in dual carriageways and a motorway junctions 3/4 lane RB. Requires negotiating at full sprint.

George Pub RB in Stockport - traffic coming off M-way near Decathlon - doesn't stop - I got splattered on there 2.5 years ago.

How bad was that RB though before they put the T/lights on it. That was seriously squeaky bum time then.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Chrissz wrote:
    tri-sexual wrote:
    arc de triomphe

+1 - Just come back from Paris - did three laps of the Arc and lost my bottle! Talk about having to look all round though :shock:

I shut my eyes going through there... so did the driver.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Waddlie wrote:
    Sketchley wrote:
    The Magic Roundabout - Swindon

Although not done it on a bike.

lifemagi1.jpg

5-roundabouts-in-a-roundabout is for amateurs. 6-roundabouts-in-a-roundabout is where it's at.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you The Plough at Hemel Hempstead.

magic_roundabout.jpg

Has no one mentioned the Tamworth Egg?

1058-map-cache.jpg
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • Sketchley wrote:
    The Magic Roundabout - Swindon

Although not done it on a bike.

lifemagi1.jpg

The Magic Roundabout has to be a contender. I remember coming off my old Raleigh Clubman here twenty something years ago when the front tyre puctured going round one of the mini-roundabouts :shock:. Happy days!
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger (and vice versa).
  • One I have never done on a bike is the Brook Street/M25 roundabout in Brentwood. The signs and lane markings are consistent and taking the East bound A12 exit from the south involves moving across three lanes from the inside to the outside in one go.